Forums are back in action! ×

Hi from Baltimore!

I stumbled across this site several months ago when I googled how to do some workout. What a great concept for giving people a network for fitness!

My story:

I was never particularly athletic or sporty as a kid. My parents didn't encourage playing sports since it meant they'd have to drive me or my brothers all over creation for practice and games! In my dad's words when I joined track as a freshman in high school, "What, you mean I have to pick you up from practiceeveryday?" After graduating college, I learned that running wasn't cutting it anymore for keeping fit and at a healthy weight. Too many hours spent sitting at a desk and hidden bad food habits. I had gained about 15 pounds, and it was either lose the weight or shop for new clothes.

Three years ago, I discovered an Irish sports league in Baltimore. I learned about the games of Gaelic football and camogie when I studied abroad in college, but didn't think I'd see them in the states. Lo! They were recruiting players and needed no experience. I joined up and have loved it ever since. I've had to develop skills needed to work as a team, totally different from years of cxc and track! From March through September, it occupies two nights a week for practice and usually two games on a Saturday. Great for fitness!

But when the season is over, I find myself in a slump. I need to find ways to keep motivated to work out, and find ways to stay active and moving. I want to come back in the spring in good shape and ready to go for the season! I thought this place might help me out with that.

Current stats:

28 years old, soon to be 29

5'6", approx 150 lbs (no scale, I should buy one!)

Run approx 32 minute 5ks

I love the concept of crossfit, but cannot afford the price tag :/

Goals:

Get to sub 30 minute 5ks: like in high school!

Increase strength and speed on the pitch

Improve food habits: fruits and or veggies with every meal, healthier snacking, reduce reliance on pasta and rice (not ready to go paleo yet!)

So, this seems like a cool place, and I hope it helps keep me motivated!

Boh hard, or Boh home.

I don't think I'll ever be able to go full paleo, I love pasta with tomato sauce too much.

I think I do fairly well food wise. The vast majority of my meals are home cooked, and I try to go from scratch as much as possible. I mostly eat lean meats. I cut out drinking soda before going to college. My biggest problem is portion control! I'm not an expert cook, but I can make some tasty food, and its hard to not get seconds.

Baking is another weakness. My mom and I go nuts at the holidays.

Boh hard, or Boh home.

Archived