Forums are back in action! ×

5k in 27:51

notcreative

That was on Sunday, in the freezing cold with not enough sleep and a head cold! I was just hoping to keep it under 30 minutes because I was sick and had heard the course was hilly (it wasn't too bad at all).

Previous best was 28:47 on Labor Day, and before that I ran 36:30 on 8/4.

Level 4 Human RangerSTR 10 | DEX 10.4 | STA 10.4 | CON 6.9 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5.9

I am using the Hal Higdon 10k training program. I am in week 9 of that right now. I started out with the Couch to 5k program, and then was using the couch to 10k and realized I didn't need the walking breaks anymore, so I switched over to this one: http://halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

I started running in June, and I know that in my first 5k I made myself run slowly because I didn't know if I could keep running for that long - I hadn't run that far before that day. Now my longest run has been 5.8 miles, and my speed keeps improving as I add more distance.

I haven't done any speedwork or anything like that, I think that a combination of the shorter distance and how excited I get on race days makes me run much faster. I also think the experience of knowing how much perceived exertion I can put forth and not collapse before the end of the race helps, too. I didn't have that knowledge before my first race. I read an article that I can't find a link to right now that basically said for a 5k, don't hold yourself back at the beginning of the race because it's better to slow down a little bit in the middle and at the end, and you'll end up with a better time. So that's what I've been doing. I don't sprint or anything, I just run without making myself slow down like I would for a longer run, if that makes any sense. I'll stop rambling now!

I officially hate you :)

congratulations.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Excellent, thanks for the tips! I think I need to find a race to sign up for - I feel like I'll be a lot more motivated that way!

The races definitely keep me motivated. I'm doing a 10k in less than 2 weeks, and I hope to do another 10k or 5k in November. Then I'm going to train for a half marathon in April of next year. Depending on how that goes, I might train for a marathon or stick with the shorter distances. We shall see!

Archived