Forums are back in action! ×

How do you start reading?

jessydiamond

What kind of stuff do you take in interest in? You could try to start with nonfiction books. Honestly they make up the better share of my books. Maybe start reading stuff about your favorite sport, city or food? Could help with getting used to reading and make it easier to read conventional book? :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

What kind of stuff do you take in interest in? You could try to start with nonfiction books. Honestly they make up the better share of my books. Maybe start reading stuff about your favorite sport, city or food? Could help with getting used to reading and make it easier to read conventional book? :)

I read a book about bikes (since I'm a cyclist) once. I didn't feel the need to read another one on the subject. These books aren't very engaging.

[TABLE]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[TABLE=width: 400]

Elf Warrior

LVL 2

STR 6

CON 3

DEX 3

WIS 5

STA 4

CHA 6

[/TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Twitter

I read a book about bikes (since I'm a cyclist) once. I didn't feel the need to read another one on the subject. These books aren't very engaging.

Different people different tastes.. I like to read about lots of stuff. Some of those books i found really interesting:

"Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond

"Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe

"Beyond Brawn" by Stuart McRobert

"Why Is Sex Fun?: The Evolution Of Human Sexuality" by Jared Diamond

"Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath" by Michael Norman and Elizabeth M. Norman

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl

"98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" by Cody Lundin

"In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" by Michael Pollan

"Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking" by Christopher Hadnagy

"The Art of Expressing the Human Body" by Bruce Lee

"Never Let Go" by Dan John

Maybe read the description on amazon or the like to see if one of them could be interesting to you?

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Different people different tastes.. I like to read about lots of stuff. Some of those books i found really interesting

Maybe read the description on amazon or the like to see if one of them could be interesting to you?

Social Engineering? The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive? Now I'm intrigued. A lot of subjects I haven't thought about. Thanks for the list.

How did you find these books by the way? Do you just browse by categories , look for reviews, just pick a title in a list somewhere ?

[TABLE]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf Warrior

LVL 2

STR 6

CON 3

DEX 3

WIS 5

STA 4

CHA 6

[/TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Twitter

Social Engineering? The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive? Now I'm intrigued. A lot of subjects I haven't thought about. Thanks for the list.

How did you find these books by the way? Do you just browse by categories , look for reviews, just pick a title in a list somewhere ?

You are welcome! :emmersed:

For "social engineering" i'm not sure how/why i got the book. Hmmm it could have been this book review on slashdot: http://books.slashdot.org/story/11/03/09/1445241/book-review-social-engineering-the-art-of-human-hacking

That was two weeks before i ordered the book according to amazon :)

I got "Keeping your ass alive" because i was several times to finland for hiking and wanted to be prepared for everything. When i watched "Dual survival" with Cody Lundin in it and later learned about his book i just had to get it.

"Tears the darkness" was advertised on some lifting related site because the author of that site thought it would teach people how to be strong or at least hold on when everything goes bad.

I'm naturally curious and thus look for a good read in many places. But i got a good share of them because they where mentioned in some forum.. :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I like to have a few books going in different categories depending on the mood I'm in and then I set a goal to do about 30 minutes of reading a day at least.

Categories such as:

1 Classic Literature

1 Fun Fiction Novel

1 Practical/Self-Improvement book

1 Meditative/Spiritual type book

My favorite series of all time is C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. Also, you must read Lord of the Rings if you haven't yet done so. It is a tough read if you aren't used to reading, but it is a masterpiece that would be a shame to miss out on (like all masterpieces, it gets better the second, third, fourth time through, etc).

One thing I always keep in mind about reading is this: Our "ability to appreciate" is a muscle that must be trained. If it is weak from lack of use, then we may only be able to easily appreciate movies/video games/etc. These are all great (awesome) things, but they take very little of our "ability to appreciate" muscle because they do most of the work.

We have to work the muscle. There really are great books, great paintings, great symphonies, great historical sites, etc, out there, that we'll only appreciate with some training. We have to "level up" to be able to access them. It would be a shame to make it to the end of the game without having opened any of the doors or chests that required a higher skill level!

I don't really know what I want to read. Crime novels could be interesting I guess? I'm more interested in fiction than non-fiction, if that can help.

Now how do I find books? Books in my library are classified by author. You can't really search by genre. I guess I could find a list of recommended books on the internet and start from there?

the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy

the Harry Potter series

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

the Prey series by John Sandford

the Reacher series by Lee Child

Anything by Michael Connelly

the John Rain series by Barry Eisler

Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez (techno thrillers and f'ing awesome. Read them twice so far.)

If you like mythology, the American Gods by Neil Gaiman

If you like assassins, Brent Weeks has a great trilogy call the Night Angel Trilogy

as for a comedy, well I enjoyed the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. Think Lucille Ball as a bounty hunter.

this should give you a good start. Feel free to ask questions. As you can see, I don't read at all. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Um, thinking of some authors here...

John Connolly writes dark crime with a supernatural bent.

Karin Slaughter writes a series of crime novels that are fast paced and engaging.

Go classic with some Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle. Most of his stories are short and easy to read.

And you should totally read some Terry Pratchett!

I downloaded a list app on my phone, going to enter all your suggestions.

Picked up my first book ! Went with Les Fourmis (Empire of the Ants ?) by Bernard Werber. Also, decided to get a non-fiction books about cat psychology. Why cat psychology? I don't know, I don't even own a cat. Not sure I'll be able to read it entirely. Now I just have to find the time to read.

[TABLE]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf Warrior

LVL 2

STR 6

CON 3

DEX 3

WIS 5

STA 4

CHA 6

[/TABLE]