Forums are back in action! ×

Another noob

Greetings nerds and rebels. Add me to the ranks of long-time readers, new members.

To be honest, I'm more of a noob to online forums than to exercise. Please let me know if you see any glaring technical errors and/or online faux pas!

A bit of my fitness history: I was never interested growing up. Not even a little bit. I started doing some exercise after college, thanks to the influence of health-conscious friends. Over the years I've done little strength training, but a lot of cardio. As in I have walked (at a moderate pace) several marathons and half marathons. Then more strength training in the form of physical therapy exercises prescribed for injuries from walking so much. Fact: it is possible to do marathons without really being fit.

So stamina I have, a little flexibility, no strength, no speed, no agility, no balance. As I get older, I want to remain functional and independent as much as possible, and the things I don't have much of are the things I'll need. So I'm trying to work on my weaknesses. The six-week challenges look like a great way to reassess priorities and set goals on a regular basis. So I'm giving it a try.

Nerd cred: I started reading Tolkien in grade school and never stopped, although other authors have been added along the way. I saw the original Star Wars. In theaters. When it first came out. Six times. (Did I mention that I'm a bit older than most of you? Hence the lack of online forum experience. And lack of gaming experience, unless you count Pong and Space Invaders.)

I'm really looking forward to this --

Congratulations on deciding to get yourself in shape! AND on seeing star wars in theaters! I am, in fact, jealous!

what kind of exercises did they have you doing in physical therapy and of the strength, speed, agility, flexibility, and balance, how would you rank your priorties?

Welcome to the forums! (from another noob) feel free to post any time you want!

PS i'm not sure their are any faux pas on the internet :P

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

Thanks for the words of welcome!

PT was/is mostly body weight work, some resistance bands. It has actually helped a lot in the injury prevention/rehab. Priorities would have to be strength, flexibility and balance -- the triple crown of staying active and avoiding future injury.

As for seeing Star Wars in theaters, well, there weren't many options back in the day...

Archived