Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness and recovery

Mundungu

Hey NF!

Quick question about recovery time. I'm doing the 6 week challenge and have gone off a relatively sedentary lifestyle to working out more often and I'm staying sore all the time. I don't mind it because it feels like a job well done, but should I be waiting until I am not sore at all to work out again or should ignite it a day or two of rest and then I'm good to go? Also what should I do in the downtime to increase my recovery speed? I don't have the option of getting more rt because of a newborn at home, but my life is pretty flexible so I can fit in other food/activity where possible. Any tips appreciated! Thanks!

Total newb, but I'm trying 

Nope, the best way to get over delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is to workout again. You should be working out 48-72 hours after your previous go around.

Doing mobility and stretching after a workout is key to decreasing recovery time. Make sure to spend AT LEAST 10 min after a workout stretching, foam rolling, or using a lacrosse ball on your muscles. Don't just go home and sit on a couch. That is a no no :D

As for rest days, mobility is great. Check out www.mobilitywod.com for some great things to do daily (they don't have to be done in order, I ususally search for some achy spot like hips or knees or shoulders and do what ever videos pop up.)

Also, for rest days, going for a nice walk outside is very restorative, both mentally and physically.

AFter a while you don't really get DOMS anymore.

Edit: Remember though that there is a difference between soreness and pain. If things are hurt-y then it is best to take some more time off and reevaluate what you are doing. Safety third you know.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I try to do active(ish) recovery days. Granted, it helps that I live in New York - I'm going to be walking a ton no matter what. But I feel like going for some nice long walks on recovery days helps me feel like my muscles are still getting used but have the time to rebound.

Wow awesomely fast reply, thanks! I'm doing mostly body weight exercises right now and don't have a lot of muscle mass so in ever really thought to do the rollers. I did make it a point to stretch yesterday after exercise but I guess I don't know how to stretch the muscles that I worked out. Right now my thighs, the back of my knees, my shoulder and my mid-back are the trouble zones. I'll check that web site and try to find some ways to stretch those areas.

I justent OT makes item not doing more harm than good :)

Total newb, but I'm trying 

There are different stances on stretching.. some say it could actually worsen sore muscles if you do it right after a hard workout. It really depends on how much/hard you stretch. A mobility workout inbetween days is a really good idea though.

If you are really really sore like 'oow i can't walk down stairs' it is a good idea to take a day off.. but otherwise i'd at least try a light training, maybe exercises around very sore muscles if possible. That way you do something (gets the blood flowing, more oxygen, both might help with recovery) and your body hopefully adapts soon so you do not get sore mucles anymore :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Archived