Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings Rebel Pack

Greetings to all you rebels, I'm Papa Coyote and I'm pleased to meet you crazy NF nerds!

I come with decent nerd cred... studied invertebrate paleontology and aquatic ecology, taught middle school science in the ghetto, currently a programmer and tech writer for a well known tech company, giant SF library, DMed 1st through 4th edition DND (well, not really 2.0, screw that THAC0 stuff, though that edition still has the best monster books), play accordion. (Yes, a glowing electronic accordion in my original funk rock band.) If that ain't riding nerdy, I don't know what is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5837[/ATTACH]

As a kid I was scrawny, so later I didn't mind filling out . I'm 5'11 and by 40y I was 265lbs... that was as much 'filling out' as I wanted to do. Got down to 201lbs (yay!) went back up to 240 (boo!) Currently, I'm down at 199 (Yay!)

How did I do it? Standing at my workstation knocked 30lbs off in the last year. (Yes! Crazy, huh?) Running took off another 10 and in the last 5 weeks, Paleo took that 1 lb I could never get off. "Papa C,you only lost one pound in 5 weeks of paleo? What's up with that?" Well, I only lost one pound, but in the same time, I went from an XL, to a L tight around the belly, to now a L that fits my shoulders and is loose in the midriff. That's a heck of a pound!

I have been calorie counting in the past few days and realize that I should probably limit a bit, but in reality, my body chemistry is doing well and I am happy with my changing appearance. I am just now churning up the exercise, (through Steve's beginner basic body weight) and realized that I'm looking forward to stepping it up.

By the time I saw the acronym RLRPG I was even more hooked. I'm ready to jump in and level up on my epic life quest!

Thanks Steve and and all you nerdy rebels!

Papa Coyote (aka Evan)

post-10324-13567245137749_thumb.jpg

Bardic Ranger - Level 5 Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 4 | Con: 3 | Wis: 6 | Cha: 7

Walk the paths you need to tread. Sing when you can.

Welcome! :) Love your avatar.

Also, glad to read about your standing workstation! I am really starting to think I need to set my office up with one of those. I work from home so I totally have the freedom and space to arrange things however I want. I find I end up sitting and forgetting to move, so I sit for like 5-6hrs at a time. Super not good! Did you DIY your standing workstation, or buy a specific setup for yourself?

Sounds like you have already made awesome progress. Look forward to seeing you around the forums!

(also, welcome to the Rangers, brother! :))

Hey, sorry it took me a bit to reply. I'm getting used to using the forums. Thanks about the avatar. I made it in flash for a party invitation.

Re - Standing desk: Totally DIY. I play keyboards so I've often used keyboard stands with plywood on top. This has variable height and works fairly well. I like twin monitors, so there have been some ridiculous setups.

Now, I just have my laptop sitting on a desktop workstation, which is in turn on a low table. This leaves it at the right height for my hands. There's a second monitor sitting on another desktop chassis, which should be higher. I have a box with a book on top for my mouse. I stand there about half time, and pace during meetings. I used to have my laptop on the treadmill, which worked for about 6 months until I got annoyed and stopped.

Bardic Ranger - Level 5 Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 4 | Con: 3 | Wis: 6 | Cha: 7

Walk the paths you need to tread. Sing when you can.

Archived