Forums are back in action! ×

No More Mr. Skinny Guy!!

Hey guys! My name is David and I'm so excited to finally join this community! I'm in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and I'm 20 years old and tired of being skinny! I am 5'10" and 130lbs. So here goes something...

My claim to nerd fame... I can quote practically the entire Lord of the Rings movies (extended editions!). My sister and I also play a game where randomly in conversation I will quote a movie (especially LOTR) if it fits into the conversation, and she has to 1) realize it's a quote--which she always does, and 2) name the movie and scene it's from. You would be amazed. I always am. Also I pride myself on my knowledge of English grammar and MLA formatting, so if you need anything edited... ;)

My fitness background... I've always been an elf and I've pretty much always been a scout by running on my own and running cross-country for 3 years. I've followed Nerd Fitness for several years, back even before there were tshirts, message boards, his epic quest, or even the fitness guides. But I've not really implemented the actual working out part. :( I took a strength training class at school in the spring 2012 semester and started making progress, then fell off the wagon during finals and never got back up again. Also, I was raised on organic and whole foods (thanks Mom!), but I struggle to eat enough to actually gain weight.

My current quest for fitness... No more Mr. Skinny Guy! My goal is to get up to 150 lbs. That's it for now. I know it will be really hard to build 20 pounds of muscle since I used to be a runner and I have skinny genes on top of that (also thanks to Mom--no pun intended). But I recently joined LA Fitness so I could have access to a good gym with barbells and free weights. I now have "WORK OUT!" on my schedule for M-W-F at 6:30am to get my butt out of bed. I am starting to track my workouts and my diet like Rebel Leader Steve suggests. The biggest diet thing is keeping grains out of my diet and replacing them with lots of meat!

Looking for weightlifting advice, eating advice (for bulking up), and of course accountability.

I'm finally ready to accept responsibility and level up my life! WOOT!

[TABLE]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf Warrior

Level 1

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Twitter

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.

Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.†– Howard Thurman

[/TABLE]

Tracking your diet definitely makes a huge difference. I'm focusing on weight loss but it's the same principle really. You read things and get a 'rough idea' of how many calories you're taking in, but it's a different story when you decide to write down every single thing.

I envy your position of getting to eat mass amounts to gain weight, but I hear a lot of people have trouble (especially those who aren't used to it) have trouble with the sheer volumes. Personally I've had trouble when bulking of simply getting enough of my calories from protein, so buying some good protein powder really helped, good to have a shake ready for post-workout. Eat steaks, burgers, lean chicken, whatever. The main problem is that it can get expensive!

Anyway, good luck with it all!

SteamID: greg0rz

Helixagon: Golem Assassin

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Tracking your diet definitely makes a huge difference. I'm focusing on weight loss but it's the same principle really. You read things and get a 'rough idea' of how many calories you're taking in, but it's a different story when you decide to write down every single thing.

I envy your position of getting to eat mass amounts to gain weight, but I hear a lot of people have trouble (especially those who aren't used to it) have trouble with the sheer volumes. Personally I've had trouble when bulking of simply getting enough of my calories from protein, so buying some good protein powder really helped, good to have a shake ready for post-workout. Eat steaks, burgers, lean chicken, whatever. The main problem is that it can get expensive!

Hey Thanks for the encouragement!! Best wishes for you as well. Don't be too jealous! I feel like I will have to eat myself out of house and home! I'm going to eat as Paleo as possible but I think with my body type some grains here and there, especially if they're sprouted grains or something, won't hurt me. I'm going to need a lot of calories anyway, somewhere around 2500/day. I'm not used to counting calories because it seems like a ton of work to measure out servings and everything. I'm going to try DailyBurn.

I've been researching protein powders because I don't think I'll be able to get enough protein any other way. I think I'm going to try this kind. It's all-natural and comes from grass-fed and hormone-free cows.

As far as the cost of food, it will probably cost a little more but probably not a ton. Sure, I'll be buying higher-quality meat/eggs/milk, but I'll also be cutting out some other foods. The biggest added expense will be the protein powder, but that'll be worth it.

[TABLE]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf Warrior

Level 1

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Twitter

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.

Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.†– Howard Thurman

[/TABLE]

Hey Daveed, nice to hear from another skinny person who wants to put on some weight! I haven't worked out the secret yet, but I think it's going to be a combination of things. Happy to have you here!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Get a routine

Level 1 | Strength: 1 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 3 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 4

"I refer to my hands, feet and body as the tools of the trade. The hands and feet must be sharpened and improved daily to be efficient." Bruce Lee

Hi David, I am originally from Millersburg, PA not far from you a small town between Happy Vally and Harrisburg.

I don't know too many particulars so I will give quick easy advice.

#1. You are young and probably an Ectomorph(body type look it up) don't be too strict health is important but you can afford to eat looser than most people. I trained a 16 year old with your same issue and because of ease and portability we decided on a two or three PB&J's in between meals and protein drinks in between that.

#2. Recording is great if you can manage it many people can not but try it at least.

#3. If possible eat every two to three hours.

When I was 19 I wanted more than anything to be 210 lbs. I was working out lifting weights and doing martial arts. I ended up waking up every morning at 3 am just to down a big bowl of Raisin Bran. It was a Body Building trick and it worked. Unfortunately when I stopped the weight went away. As I aged keeping weight off is the issue.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Hey Daveed. I just wanted to wish you luck with your goal of gaining weight. I am trying to do the same thing. I am 6'0" and 158#, and would really like to get my weight to 175. I have been eating very strictly paleo the past three weeks, as part of a Whole30 challenge with my wife and a few friends. One thing I realized very quickly, is that if you are going to eat paleo, you need to eat a lot. I have heard that is also true when trying to bulk up on a non-paleo diet, but when you are sticking to a paleo plan, it is even more important. Just to maintain my weight, I have had to eat more than was comfortable. Now I am trying to supplement between meals with nuts (I keep a big container of mixed nuts from Costco on my desk at work), and shakes made out of coconut milk, almond butter, and some type(s) of fruit.

Let me know how it goes for you. I would like to hear any bits of wisdom you pick up along the way.

Hello Daveed,

Welcome to the forum. I also grew up in Pennsylvania... in Lemoyne, just outside of Harrisburg.

I have never had any trouble gaining weight, it just sticks to me like glue. But from what I've read, you need to eat a lot more. I like MuayTyson 's suggestion of PB&J, who doesn't love those? That would be a lot of protein from the PB and lots of carbs from the bread and Jelly. Just be sure to keep active, or your blood sugar is gonna spike, and that's bad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Ogre Mage Adventurer

STR: 5 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

"Semper In Excreta, Solo Profundem Variat"

Battle Log

Hi Daveed, welcome to NF! Good luck with gaining (muscle) weight - if you ever need help with anything we're all here for you.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

My current quest for fitness... No more Mr. Skinny Guy! My goal is to get up to 150 lbs. That's it for now. I know it will be really hard to build 20 pounds of muscle since I used to be a runner and I have skinny genes on top of that (also thanks to Mom--no pun intended). But I recently joined LA Fitness so I could have access to a good gym with barbells and free weights. I now have "WORK OUT!" on my schedule for M-W-F at 6:30am to get my butt out of bed. I am starting to track my workouts and my diet like Rebel Leader Steve suggests. The biggest diet thing is keeping grains out of my diet and replacing them with lots of meat!

Looking for weightlifting advice, eating advice (for bulking up), and of course accountability.

I'm finally ready to accept responsibility and level up my life! WOOT!

Hey David! It seems that we are in the same boat! I want to bulk up and gain some muscle weight as well. Maybe along the way, you can teach me why running is so great and addictive!

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Strong Scott why are you doing Paleo? Just curious I think it is a very healthy way to eat but if your health is good and you really want to gain weight maybe you should just eat?

A very valid question. The answer: Because my wife roped me into doing a Whole30 challenge this month. I totally agree with you. It is really, really hard to gain weight on a strict paleo diet. So once my 30 days are up on October 10, I plan to reintroduce some grains and whole-milk dairy, as well as whey protein powder (OK, and red wine and dark chocolate).

Archived