Forums are back in action! ×

New to site, but not new to fitness, even if I don't look like it...

Hello everyone!

I'm Suzie, and I've been steadily weightlifting for over two years now. I've been able to get my weight down to 160ish; I've competed in a Figure Competition, and I've ran a half marathon. I also used to be a high school teacher.

I recently (end of July) switched jobs due to the stress I was experiencing as a teacher. I couldn't seem to make the time to go to the gym, my diet was not as good as it should be, and I just was depressed. Now I'm much better mentally, and loving my new analyst job, but having some SERIOUS weight issues now.

So as a teacher I was constantly up, down, walking, etc. Now that I have a desk job, I don't move nearly as much. I knew this was going to happen, and so I compensated by eating less. Before I started this job on July 31, I weighed 183. Now I weight 193. I eat less, following a mainly paleo approach (yesterday I cut everything except dairy and my coffee syrup), and I've been to the gym a minimum of four days a week since I started my job. This week I added in some running 2-3 times a week and rollerblading on Sundays.

So last week I was approximately 189#, and this week I'm 193#... wtf? I'm confused, I'm disheartened, but I went to the gym anyway this morning, worked around a knee that has been bothering me slightly, and ate my omelet. I'm sticking to what I know I should do, because it's enjoyable for me to lift weights and get faster, but I'm beginning to believe I will never look as fit as I feel...

So here are my stats, as I'd like to pick a race (been a life long final fantasy/video game rpg pleyer, so can't help it :playful:) and I think at the moment my profession is adventurer. If I'm wrong, please let me know...

Body comp:

Height: 5'7" - 8" (depends on who measures)

Weight (as of this morning): 193#

female

32 years old

body fat (using formulas based on measurements): approx. 27% (this is taken with a grain of salt...)

waist: 39"

hips: 43.75"

shoulders: 43.5"

chest/bust: 41"

Fitness goals for the moment:

1. perform a pull up

2. get waist measurement to 35"

3. run 5k without stopping

4. deadlift 150# at least once

I enjoy the weight training the most, but I've also come across jump roping again, and I enjoy running when my knees don't hurt (but will never do another half-marathon) and I really love to rollerblade even though I suck at it. I enjoy bike riding, but the trails are too far away to do that on a regular basis.

I think that's it for now. I have switched to a paleo plus dairy eating style. The only think I allow beyond the dairy is the syrup I put in my coffee. I did the calculations, and it equates to 100 calories a day.

Sooner or later I will drop the syrup and the dairy, but right now it's keeping me sane knowing that while I can't have pasta/bread/rice/etc, I can still have cheese in my omelets and a touch of syrup in my coffee.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as right now I really am at my lowest point. If it wasn't for the fact the exercising and eating have made me feel better emotionally and mentally, I'd have given up. That alone is worth it to keep at it, but I'd love to see the physical changes as well....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Bookworm, Starting the Adventure...

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 2 | STA: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals."

Zig Ziglar

My Adventure

Your body is adjusting to the more sedentary lifestyle that comes with your job. I know that sounds trite, but it's exactly what's happening. It sounds like you're compensating by cutting back the calories consumed, but it's going to take a little longer for you to physically adjust. There will be frustration, but definitely don't give up. It's just a matter of finding your new balance, and your body re-learning.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thank you. I know in my head that's what's happening, and that I need to compensate by also being more active when I get home and on weekends, it's just disheartening to see it. Hoping once my knee heals I'll be able to get back into working out every day of the week.

Any suggestions on how to adapt to the more sedentary work without having to buy clothes in a bigger size? At this point I really don't know what else to do.

Again, thanks for posting and reminding me to be patient. I do appreciate it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Bookworm, Starting the Adventure...

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 2 | STA: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals."

Zig Ziglar

My Adventure

Archived