Forums are back in action! ×

Batgirl was a librarian, right?

That's totally going to be my outlook on things from now on.

I'm a librarian, but the dumpy, frumpy kind...and I'm not even 30 yet. I'd love to look like I could secretly be Batgirl. And then maybe BE secretly Batgirl.

I have so many goals - things I want to do, places I want to see - and I know so much of it will be easier if I could just get rid of all this pesky weight I'm dragging around with me!

My current fitness level is ok, but not great. I'm an Irish dancer, and take class twice a week. I'm a swimmer, but I haven't been in a pool to really work in nearly a year. I hike a lot, but the weather's starting to change. (Also, I'm really good at finding excuses!) I'm trying NF because, well...it seems do-able. I'm good with challenges, not so good with going solo. I tried Fitocracy, but they have a huge emphasis on gyms and weights, and the aspect of it I liked (leveling up) is reduced to so much grinding because the quests require equipment I don't have.

I don't know whether I'm an aspiring Scout or a Ranger...since speed is not and probably never will be my strong point. My frame isn't built for speed - even if I get to my goal weight of 135, I'm still going to have big hips and broad shoulders. :-p But I'm a "tank," and always have been. When I swam in college, I did the mile, not the 50m. You can put me in the water and I'll swim until someone tells me it's time to stop. That's why I took up hiking instead of jogging. Turn me loose in a place with some trails up and down the hills, and I'll be just fine. I've got my first mountain picked out that I'll be tackling in 2013.

(So anyone who's been around for awhile can definitely point me in which direction I should look for future challenges....)

I'm not going to jump in late to the current challenge; but I definitely plan on hanging around, being supportive, and figuring out my plan of attack for the Nov 14th challenge. Advice, encouragement, and party members are always appreciated.

So there's me in a nutshell. A half-elf, because...well, elven features kind of run in the family, and last time I got skinny people remarked on it. I also have one ear that's pointed and one that's normal. Weird.

And an adventurer because I'm still trying to figure out where my place is going to be.

Nice to meet you all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Half-Elf Adventurer

Str: 1 ~ Dex: 3 ~ Sta: 2 ~ Con: 2 ~ Wis: 4 ~ Cha: 3

My first adventure!!

Guest Snake McClain

BATGIRL! Love it!

It sounds to me you have some experience under your belt to know what will work for you. I think you are in the right place for advice and just general information. This community is fantastic and probably the best group of internet people I've ever come across. If you don't want to go with weights there are TONS of body weight style exercises out there. You so got this.

Snake McClain Over and out.

Welcome! I can totally relate to your Librarian Who Is Secretly Batgirl theme...for mine is Social Worker Who Is Secretly John Constantine/Ironman/Wilee. ;) Being a cloaked bad@$s is where it's at.

Sounds like you have a lot of athletic interests already. That is awesome! I second Snake....you can do a LOT of strength training with bodyweight moves and/or heavy stuff around your house. My workouts focus mainly on running and bodyweight stuff, though I am working in some (very) basic gymnastics and yoga. I'm a Ranger right now, so I may be biased, but your hiking/climbing/swimming/dancing skills make you sound like Ranger material to me. :D

Look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Oooh yay, I'll definitely look into Ranger when I've leveled up a bit.

(By the way, do we get to say *ding* when we do? Because I'll stay here forever if that's the case...)

And ugh...I need to do more heavy lifting around the house. I'm debating selling/moving in the next year or so, and have already made the LIST OF DHOOM - things that absolutely *must* be accomplished before I can even think about putting my house on the market.

Yuck.

But a couple weeks ago I totally ripped out the carpet in the basement - by myself - and dragged it up the stairs - by myself - and out to the curb for the trash guys - by myself.

Yarrrrrr.

Also also, I'm interested in trying the Paleo diet...except that I'm very, *very* Irish. You'll have to pry my potatoes out of my cold, dead hands...

:tyrannosaurus:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first adventure!!

Hiya!

And ugh...I need to do more heavy lifting around the house. I'm debating selling/moving in the next year or so, and have already made the LIST OF DHOOM - things that absolutely *must* be accomplished before I can even think about putting my house on the market.

That consumed 8 months of my year; it's seriously painful, but does it ever feel good when you're done. Good luck with your list and eventual sale!

There are a few badass librarians meandering the boards, so you're in good company. I really like hiking, too, which must be why I moved to this big, flat state in the middle. >.> What mountain are you going to tackle? Do you have a poster to make war faces at?

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I've noticed a couple other librarians floating around...we should make a club or something. >_>

Mountain #1 is Chimney Tops, in the Smokies of TN/NC. My mum and I are going to tackle it together, and see what happens when we get to the top. If I go "this was the stupidest idea ever," I'll probably find a new sort of hobby. Otherwise it's time to pick one a bit harder, with more of a scramble than the last 30 feet at the summit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first adventure!!

Highpointing :D

Charles Mound isn't exactly the most impressive thing to climb, despite being the highest thing in the state of Illinois, but we can do that one together!

You'd like Harney Peak in South Dakota. Great views, and it's a really nice hike to the top. Not super hard and challenging, but not a walk in the park, either. And you can see the back of Mt. Rushmore from the top!

LVL 2 Ranger: STR:4 CON:4 STA:3 DEX:2 WIS:4 CHA:3

I've looked at Charles Mound before, because when I first decided to start climbing Highpointing seemed like a good starter.

But Charles Mound is super pathetic in terms of distance to drive and the owners only being open like...3 times a year, in relation to actual amount of effort. I mean....I can walk up bigger hills here in Peoria.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first adventure!!

Archived