Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings AGAIN from the Deep South!

Greetings (again).

I joined NF in Feb 2012 with all intentions to start the Rebel Fitness program. I started eating better, but never really started the exercise portion. Eventually, the eating went back to where it always was. About that time, my wife started her own working out and exercise program. Now she is looking good, and I am still the same as I ever was. I don't consider myself overweight, but I am out of shape and would like a better body (sans gut!)

Out on a limb:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5673[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5674[/ATTACH]

I am almost 41 years old with a wife of 17 years and two awesome kids (a 10YO boy and 6YO girl). I am the Information Technology Manager for a small municipality in Alabama, so there is a lot of sitting in front of a computer for most of my days. I have not regularly exercised or worked out EVER! I have tried Couch-to-5k and could not even finish all of the running parts on the first day! My upper body strength is atrocious!

I will be working on my Battle Log today as I have started a dumbbell workout routine that I am enjoying (or rather, will enjoy once the PAIN GOES AWAY!) I meant to take measurements this morning, but lost time because my wife left on a business trip EARLY and I had to get the kids ready for school.

My stats:

• Weight: 225lbs
  • Height: 6' 5"
  • Neck: 16"
  • Calf: 17"
  • Thigh: 22 1/2"
  • Hip: 42"
  • Waist: 42"
  • Chest: 40"

Fitness Goals:

1. Increase my total body strength
  2. Tone my body to get rid of my gut and gain some core definition
  3. Gain 25lbs of muscle
  4. (Possibly) Run a 5k by the end of 2013
  5. Strengthen my surgically repaired back
  6. Be able to convert from weights to bodyweight workout

Diet Goals:

1. Cut out most fried foods
  2. Eat more vegatables
  3. Reduce the number of Diet Cokes I drink
  4. Increase the amount of water I drink

Well that is my story. I am more excited about getting in shape than I ever have been. I have read NF and the forums for a long time, and finally decided it is time to get off my @$$ and get in shape.

This is such a cool place and I know that we will all hold each other accountable, which is really what I need to attain the goals that I have set for myself.

Have a wonderful day!

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Welcome to the club! The best way to stay committed is to keep logging in and talking with everyone! It worked for me and many others.

I know when I gave up soda I went cold turkey. I know different people have ways to give stuff up, but for soda and other soft beverages I just went straight to water. The best way to stay that way is to invest in a water bottle. The best is a filtered water bottle. I personally recommend Camel Back. It's $20 or so but totally worth it. I bring mine around everywhere, so I'm never tempted to buy anything else :)

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

Guest Snake McClain

as smazzon said when i gave up soda i just went straight to water. I have had maybe 3 sodas in 3 months. i just dont care for it anymore at all. Typically just water. or milk.

Welcome aboard, or back I should say. Always nice to have another southerner around here. Looks like you've got some good goals. And if you're wanting to pack on 25lbs of muscle you had better start eating a lot haha! Here's a site that's a lot of the warriors (weightlifters) like to peruse.

Anywho, have a good one man, and good luck!

P.S. Awesome Braves shirt!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Welcome aboard, or back I should say. Always nice to have another southerner around here. Looks like you've got some good goals. And if you're wanting to pack on 25lbs of muscle you had better start eating a lot haha! Here's a site that's a lot of the warriors (weightlifters) like to peruse.

Anywho, have a good one man, and good luck!

P.S. Awesome Braves shirt!

Thanks for the site. I will take a look at it.

It looks like we are only about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs apart on the interstate! Maybe we could meetup at a MS Braves game next year. I have been a Braves fan since 1990 when I came to school at Alabama. We did not have cable when I was growing up.

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Welcome to the club! The best way to stay committed is to keep logging in and talking with everyone! It worked for me and many others.

I know when I gave up soda I went cold turkey. I know different people have ways to give stuff up, but for soda and other soft beverages I just went straight to water. The best way to stay that way is to invest in a water bottle. The best is a filtered water bottle. I personally recommend Camel Back. It's $20 or so but totally worth it. I bring mine around everywhere, so I'm never tempted to buy anything else :)

I will definitely look into the bottles. I am on their site and i see the Groove as the filtered bottle option. Is that the one that you have??

Michael

Hi Michael

Just popping in to wave hello to you too! Those sound like great fitness & health goals you're setting. I gave up diet coke (and caffeine) about 10 years ago and I definitely feel the health benefits from it.

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Thanks for the site. I will take a look at it.

It looks like we are only about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs apart on the interstate! Maybe we could meetup at a MS Braves game next year. I have been a Braves fan since 1990 when I came to school at Alabama. We did not have cable when I was growing up.

Michael

A Braves game sounds like a plan to me. And I second the water bottle idea. I have about four of them, back-ups for back-ups

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Sounds like you have a plan here, wish you the best of luck.

About the c25k program, I think you could start by walking, then some brisk walks and a couple of weeks later, start with the c25k, it will still be a little hard, but you'll have some "air" to go trough, and remember, if it gets tough, you can always repeat last week's routine until you master it.

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Sounds like you have a plan here, wish you the best of luck.

About the c25k program, I think you could start by walking, then some brisk walks and a couple of weeks later, start with the c25k, it will still be a little hard, but you'll have some "air" to go trough, and remember, if it gets tough, you can always repeat last week's routine until you master it.

That has been my intent. I got sidetracked with sinus surgery in the beginning of Sept and decided to focus on my dumbbell workouts before I go back to the running.

Archived