Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone know anything about shoulder rehab?

Mikey

Well I messed up my shoulder months ago and because of a long disappointing process with the doctors and there mess ups my shoulder just aint right. I was told that I had separation and tearing of the labrum(i'm sure this is spelled wrong). Well it pretty much looks normal and if feels all right but since I got discouraged and stopped working out when i got injured(almost 8 months ago) not only is my shoulder weaker than it has ever been(before the injury i could power shrug over 500 pounds) but all of me is outta shape. But I started getting back into it and I think I may have over done it a bit today. It hurts and kinda feels like it is outta place. So any good workouts to strengthen my shoulder up so it doesn't continually feel like it is outta place when i start using it? Thanks for any feedback in advance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Will Defend The Light From The Darkness

I have some shoulders that are very prone to dislocation so I do have some advice on it.

Basically Front and side shoulder raises from waist to shoulder height. Also do rotator cuff exercises. Don't do them with too heavy of a weight either.

2) Seek out a good physiotherapist. They will be able to be give you some good advice and other exercises like wall slides and review your technique.

You can also get some resistance bands so you can do some exercises like spelling out the entire alphabet in increasing size.

I have some shoulders that are very prone to dislocation so I do have some advice on it.

It's a shoulder labrum tear. The last thing you want to do is take advice from someone who has a wholly different issue.

The best idea is to see a good physio (one who works with athletes) and have him (or her) help you. In any case, take it slow and don't jump right to your maxes again.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Firstly, I'm not a doctor or a physical therapist. But, I'm actually going on Thursday to have a labrum tear repaired. It doesn't affect my daily life much, but when I participate in strenuous activities, there is a pain deep in the joint, radiating pain in the shoulder blade, and I feel like my pectoral tendon is stressed. The problem? I'm an active person and I'm a security guard. I also would like to return to the military someday (not sure that's possible, but here's to hoping).

Enough about me. What you need to know from my personal experience with labral tears is the following:

1. A tear is sometimes followed by a cyst formed from synovial (joint) fluid. These cyst(s) cause things like strained pectoral tendons.

2. A tear in your labrum will not get better on it's own. With exercises, you can compensate for it, but the injury is always going to be there.

3. A torn labrum could be an indicator of osteoarthritis in your shoulder joint. For instance, there is mild degenerative damage to my AC joint.

My personal advice? See an ortho. Get an MRI if you can, but sometimes degenerative changes (such as my AC joint) show up on x-ray.

It is not a fun injury, and if you end up getting it repaired and have an even slightly active job...I'm out for 3 - 4 months. In a sling for 6 weeks. No running for 2 months. Lots of physical therapy ahead. Good luck!

Archived