Forums are back in action! ×

starting out for the new year!

Hello everyone!

I think for the past 6 months I've been looking into getting into shape: I've been skinny for the longest time and after doing much reading on the internet have finally got around to starting a workout regime. It's quite a bit mixed in with a busy school schedule, but I'm three weeks in and I'm going strong! I think I've gained 5 pounds over the course of these weeks, but I'm still working on it. I'm blessed/cursed with a fast metabolism so I have to keep on eating!

So far I've worked through the starting strength workouts, albeit with power cleans replaced with chin ups for the time being. Just a question if anyone can help me: I'm having trouble progressing on overhead presses: I can't seem to strictly increase my weight from workout to workout in a steady manner (5lbs increase/workout): it seems I have really weak arms :( . Would it be okay to increase weights, say, 2 times/3 workouts instead of an increase everytime?

Anyway, that was my pouring my workout heart out for the time being. NF's a great site and thanks for reading!

Welcome, and good on ya for going for it.

You're expecting way too much of yourself if you think you can increase your overhead press by five pounds every workout. I've found that, upon first starting a new exercise, I often progress rapidly at the beginning not so much because I'm getting stronger but rather more confident and comfortable with the exercise, then I start to plateau as I find out how much I can really lift. It sounds like you're there. Instead of trying to lift more, try to do one more rep each workout, but don't get too down when you can't. You need to push yourself, but you also need to know what your current limits are, then try to push those limits. Once you can do a few extra reps over the listed number, then go for a heavier weight.

I occasionally mix in lower reps with a heavier weight, and extra reps with a lighter weight just to keep my muscles guessing.

welcome :)

the press is hard - you probably wont be able to increase weight every time.

if i cant increase weight lifted, i try to increase volume.

so say you do 100lbs for 10 reps one workout, and next workout you can't get to 105lbs for 10 reps.

if you do 100lbs for 15 reps, you're still increasing total weight moved and that will help you get to 105lbs quicker.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Another thing that i've found when trying to build muscle and strength...if I'm plateauing, I take a look at my diet and I'm usually not eating enough! Try adding more calories, more protein to your diet when you get stuck and see if you can't bust through it.

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

My other half is on a gain program because he wants to compete in power lifting... I see how much food he has to pack down now and I couldn't image how much you'd have to eat if you have a rabbit metabolism on top of that!

Are you taking any deload time, out of curiousity? Especially if you've been working hard and you're hitting the top of your initial gains, an "easy" week by dropping your weights down about 25% gives your body a chance to adapt and actually build that muscle you want. Stepladdering is usually the effective way to keep from plateauing and to make sure you don't overtrain. Too much can do more damage than good and start breaking down muscle.

Have you thought of working with a trainer who can help?

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

I haven't looked into any de-load time yet: personally I was kind of worried about hitting a bit of a plateau early, but judging but what has been said it's a fairly normal occurrence. I think I'm going to really have to get to work on the eating then! I've read into the thread about creatine here as well: is trying something like that a good idea?

On another note, personal trainers at my university gym are very expensive: almost $50/hr! Though I think I'm doing all right so far (I may consider spezzy's advice and cacophony's and take the chance as well to keep mastering good lift forms) would it be a good idea to get one?

Thanks!

....I've read into the thread about creatine here as well: is trying something like that a good idea?....

....On another note, personal trainers at my university gym are very expensive: almost $50/hr!....

For one, I'd never recommend taking any kind of supplementation unless you have the training to know what you're doing or you're working directly with someone who has the training to know what they're doing. Your body is a very complicated piece of equipment and you can really screw it up by randomly changing things. Everything you put in has positive AND negetive consequences - if you're not 100% solid on what those are, don't do it. Mind you, that's my credo for most things in life... You can't do brain surgery just because you have an Employee of the Month certificate from McDonalds. *wicked grin*

And I hate to tell you... 50.00 an hour for a PFT is not bad at all. The university must give you one helluva deal because you're a student and/or because the PFTs are working on their graduate diplomas. The average going rate here in Edmonton is 75.00 in the moderate range. Depending on their experience, it's not uncommon to find a trainer for 90.00 an hour. =) Certification is the huge thing to check if you do decide to hire out. Just because someone "has worked out forever" it doesn't mean they're qualified to help someone else, especially with your specific metabolic speed and training goals. Stay safe!

Patience!!! You didn't grow up overnight and you're not going to adapt overnight either. Give yourself a bit of time and you'd be amazed what you're capable of.

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .