Forums are back in action! ×

Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Well I joined this site mostly out of pure desperation. After trying on a drawer full of jeans that I could barely pull up to the bottom of my now-ample ass, I decided I can't keep doing what I'm doing and that I need some sort of push and accountability and guidance to get on the right track.

A bit about me...

I'm a pharmaceutical researcher at a large company in Cambridge, MA. I'm currently out on disability because I'm struggling really badly with PTSD and all of the lovely things that go along with that. As a result of my PTSD symptoms getting worse over the past few years (and the wealth of great restaurants in the Boston area), I have used emotional eating as a coping method. Combined with a high-stress job, long hours, and not being at all active, I've gone from 101.5 lbs in November of 2009 up to 140 lbs this July. At only 4'9", this but me at an obese BMI. I also had blood work done in June that showed an A1C in the pre-diabetic range and cholesterol levels that are completely out of whack. Clearly seeing that my weight gain was causing actual health problems, I took drastic action and started the ketogenic Ideal Protein diet plan in August and am now down to 134 lbs. Unfortunately, for financial reasons I recently had to go off of this diet. I also read the paleo diet for beginners article and saw no real reason to be paying insane amounts of money to be eating crazy little astronaut packets of mystery protein that just left me feeling hungry and unsatisfied.

I am still feeling incredibly tired, sick, have frequent headaches, and frankly am disgusted with myself for "letting myself go". I know negative self talk probably isn't really what we do here, but I think as an introduction it's key to see where I'm coming from and hopefully get some support to push me to healthier thoughts and habits. I know that I truly have to want and I do, but I also find it overwhelming and scary to make such a life change. The other factors working against me are depression and lack of motivation which are related to my PTSD.

I really need someone to encourage me and kick my ass and educate me about both food and exercise and I'm hoping that this forum will be able to offer some of that. I think the hardest part is getting started so any tips on that are greatly appreciated. Even though I'm reading and beginning to educate myself about diet and nutrition, I still am a bit lost and hoping to get a push (or twenty!) in the right direction.

Maybe I can be the next Staci success story :)

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heather, level 1 Hobbit warrior

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 5|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

Hey there! It is a pleasure to meet you!

It sounds like things have really been sucking for you lately. But you obviously must be a very strong person, otherwise you wouldn't be here!

I'm a little worried about these headaches and feeling sick. Have you checked in with a doctor? I'm not sure whether you meant they were part of the PTSD or the lack of fitness, but it never hurts to check. You need to be at your best!

I will take off my manatee hat now. If you ever need someone to give you some support, or some psyching up enthusiasm, just send me a message. I am damn good at that!

Welcome to the fold. It is a pleasure to have you.

Level 1 Orc Assassin STR: 5.5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 6.5 "My strength lies in my tenacity."  

Archived