Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness - the perfect Ph.D procrastination?

Hi,

I started doing a late 6 week challenge, but thought I'd introduce myself here as well. This seems like a really fun community! I'm hoping that gaining some communication and informal accountability will help me to stick to my fitness goals.

I'm a grad student (3rd year into my engineering Ph.d), and I've been on-again-/off-again Paleo eating and functional fitness basically since I started grad school. Last May I did a Tough Mudder race (my avatar pic) which was a great motivation to get into a regular workout groove for the 6 months prior, but after the race I slacked off all summer. My current 6 week challenge is mostly focused on building the habits I need to stick with it. Future challenges will probably focus on finally cleaning up my eating habits (Whole30 ftw) and moving towards some concrete fitness goals (doing an unassisted pull-up is way up there). I'm really interested in functional fitness and things like MovNat and parkour - I'd like to be able to move around effectively in the world without tiring. I'm at a healthy weight for me, but losing some fat and getting more toned would not be unwanted as well.

Thanks for reading!

Level 1 Hobbit Ranger (optimistic)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stats:

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 2

CON: 1 WIS: 5 CHA: 3

Welcome! This is a great place to create goals to stick to. Everyone here will hold you accountable, and they'll expect the same from you, which will in turn make you feel even more accountable so you won't be a hypocrite. It's a sneaky, sneaky system! But it's working for me, and that's saying something because I'm currently correcting a lifetime of bad habits. You'll be glad you did this. Good luck with your challenge!!!

Level 4 Shape Shifting AdventurerSTR: 3.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 6.0CON: 5.75 | WIS: 8.25 | CHA: 7.25

Archived