Forums are back in action! ×

Finally getting around to the introduction

I joined a week or two ago (brought here by the Gizmodo post) but I never got around to posting - so I figured now was as good a time as any to introduce myself. I'm Matt, I live and work in Boston, and I'm 26.

My overall fitness goals are to get back in shape - I ran track in college (decathlon) and since then am not 100% happy with the kind of shape I've stayed in - so what better time to kick it back into overdrive than now? I'm looking forward to interacting here, learning a lot, and sharing what I know as well. Thanks!

Oooooh, an Endurance Guy. You're one of those crazy people that just runs and runs and runs, aren't you... *grins* I'm a weight chick. I'd rather pick stuff up, put it down again, and then go for coffee... Running makes me suck wind. Which means, I know, that I should do more of it. Any tips on how to start that would make it fun?

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Well, I always liked the sprints and jumps more than the distance in the decathlon - give me a long jump or 110m hurdles any day. But some things that helped make running bearable for me:

1. Good music - makes the time fly by

2. Run somewhere with good scenery (tough this time of year)

3. Fartliks - alternate between fast and slow pace for the length of the run. For example, a 3 mile run where you take a fast stride for 1 minute, then a slow jog for one minute, for the entire run

4. Indian runs - this is good if you're running with others. Run in a line, the person in the back has to sprint to the front of the line to become the first person. As soon as they reach the front, the new last person in line sprints up to the front. And so on for the entire run

5. Run to an much more fun objective. I like to pick a stadium/football field/whatever that's maybe a mile and a half, 2 miles away, run there, and then do prisoner squats on the bleachers. Your run there is motivated by the next workout, your run home is motivated by... really really wanting to get home - it breaks up the run nicely.

Your run there is motivated by the next workout, your run home is motivated by... really really wanting to get home - it breaks up the run nicely.

ROFLMAO - Sadistic. I like it. As soon as I'm not nearly snowed in and the weather comes up above -30 I'm so trying that.

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .