Forums are back in action! ×

Back from running hiatious, getting ready for Tough Mudder 2013

One week ago I completed the Chicago Marathon, I had about 8 months to prep for it and didn't really do my best getting ready. I ate better than I did a year ago and put in a fair amount of miles but didn't do any strength training. I ran the first 1/2 strong but made a huge mistake when (after taking a pee break at mile 15) I ran hard to catch up with my group, by mile 17 my hams where cooked! I limped in dire pain till about mile 24 where I saw the course closing in front of me, at which point I decided to push no matter what to finish before the road opened. I crossed the finish line in official time and got a medal, the roads literally opened behind me, people finishing 10 minutes after me didn't get medal (that's kinda jacked). My legs are still sore, I'm resting them, and as such tomorrow I'll kick into some weights for upper body. I walked Saturday with a mix of some running but at this point I know I simply need some basic strength training and to seriously eat healthier! I'm proud of the fact that I completed the marathon but at the same time I now feel that since I've slayed the dragon of my massive self-doubt, it's time to go at this right, to make Nerd Fitness a lifestyle, not just an interm goal. So I have the goal of Tough Mudder Michigan (June 2013) to keep me hungry for an event, something to work for. I'm ready to dig into the training, the foregoing of watching Walking Dead to instead sleep, the choice of salad with cranberries instead of a mushroom-swiss burger, not for the event, for a better life, the event is just that, an event in the timeline of the long healthy life I am striving to live.

There it is, all cards on the table, now you know: I loaded my life with despair from self-doubt, I overcame it by half-heartedly prepping for a marathon then completing that sucka, and now I am chomping at the bit to take on the mutha of all mudders!

So, I've put this in introductions because I haven't been active on this board in ages and I know from this running experience that support from others and to others is HUGE! Together we can accomplish much through encouraging each other, alone we'll simply struggle.

Anyone else in MI planning for this race?

Keep your scanners peeled!

Knight Rider

My Fitness Pal

Archived