Forums are back in action! ×

Gym checklist?

DaygloNirvana

I'm starting my hunt for a gym membership. Anyone have an idea of the things I should be looking for? The first thing I'm looking for is convenience to the bus line, since I won't have a car during the day. Help me make my checklist!

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

My personal gym checklist goes as follows:

-Do they offer spin classes?

-Is there a PT there with >10 years industry experience?

-Is there a PT there with accreditation for olympic lifts

-Are there olympic platforms with bounce weights and spinning barbells?

-Do dumbbells go up to 50kg

-Is there a "Be quiet" "No noise" rule? (unlike the rest, I want this answer to be "no")

-Is chalk allowed?

When I'm travelling or visiting families I'm less strict

-Are there barbells?

-is there treadmills?

-Are they open from 6am weekdays and 8am weekends?

-Can I just pay for a month?

I've actually been looking for a boxing gym (and I found one) my checklist was

-How many classes per week do they offer?

-Can I get one on one training?

-Can I train by myself using their equipment?

-Do their instructors have professional boxing experience?

-Do their instructors have years of coaching experience?

-Can I get one on one training?

-Do they offer every piece of equipment related to boxing I can think of? (ring, sang bag, speedball, bar weights, skip ropes, "hitting balls" medicine balls, kettlebells)

-Is their pricing reasonable?

-Are they only interested in people who want to fight professionally? (I want this to be "no")

A place to do pull-ups, chin-ups, etc

Do they have equipment you can use - eg kettle bells, medicine balls, or whatever is your thing. For example, if you know you'll use dumbbells, do they have one set of dumbbells and when you tour people are using them? Or see the squat rack suggestion above. Or if you love cardio machines, do they have enough? The ones you like?

Do they have enough benches for people to use (a ton of different ways)

Do they have room to warm up and cool down?

Do they have a safe place for you to lock up stuff?

Is it clean? How clean?

Think about where you are in your training....where will you be going? Can the gym meet your needs 8 mos from now? For example, when I joined my gym it was important that they have a place to properly warm up, dumbbells, sufficient benches, etc. these still apply but I moved into heavy lifting. Gym still works w 2 power racks and a squat rack. Cool.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Archived