Forums are back in action! ×

If the zombie apocalypse happened now, i'd be screwed!!

Hi all,

My name is Kayleigh but my friends call me KJ. I'm 25 (nearly 26), from england, about 5'3" and i weigh just under 10 stone or 63kg.I've got a near perfect BMI, but i'm not happy with my fitness level, or my appearance. and I'm starting to develop noticeable soft bits!! which is horrific!

A few days ago, I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness, this absolute gem of a website/community, while looking for tips on how to achieve my first ever pull up. I've been working out on and off the about two years just in a general bid to be healthy. My desire to be healthy stems largely from my mum. I love my mum, but in her early fifties she is overweight and has numerous health problems because of it: her heart, her digestive tract, her knees, her back. I HATE the way she struggles to walk up stairs, or walk more than a few hundred metres and I don't want to be that way when i'm 50. So i know i need to create healthy habits that will last for life, now. So a couple years ago i joined a gym. I went to aerobics classes and did some running on a treadmill, but i've never been overly committed or serious about it, and my visits can be sporadic. Originally i went down to about 9.5stone, but recently i seem to have plateued at 10stone. (it doesn't help that i reward myself for my workouts with food. bad food. often takeaways. or at least a bottle of coca-cola which is my addiction.)

But a couple of months ago I finally took the dive and signed up to Tough Mudder next June. Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile course with crazy military style obstacles along the route which include ice baths, eletrocution and plenty of mud. But it's not a race and it's got a big emphasis on teamwork, and helping each other around the course. I've wanted to do it since i discovered its existence and I can NOT wait till next june. In fact i signed up for two more similar runs, a 5 mile which i completed with a colleague in about an hour (time doesn't matter it's just about finishing!) and a 10k in April. I'm really pleased that i completed the 5 mile run, only slowing to a walk once for maybe 30yards on a slight incline in the final mile considering i can't even complete 5k without stoppin, but i suppose the obstacles give youa chance for rest. But i have to admit i feel like i'm starting from square one training for tough mudder, especially with the stregnth training, but i'm confident that i'll find loads of advice and support here at nerd fitness.

Also having looked at some of the articles here i've finally accepted that i can't just exercise myself to healthy, i'm going to have to do something about my diet too. That's terrifying, because i'm a fussy eater, i don't like eggs or fish or fruit or mushrooms, and my current diet is a lot of bread and beans and cheese and pastry. My favourite food is CURRY, genuinely, i could live on the stuff. My friends like to call me something where the first word is curry and the second word rhymes with door!! So i'm actually more scared of changing my diet than doing Tough Mudder. Which is mental isn't it? However looking on the bright side, it's pretty exciting that BACON is an acceptable paleo food. Who doesn't love bacon, eh?!

All i've got to do now is figure out where to start! and Just Do It!

Wish me luck! and Thanks for reading!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer Level 1 STR:2| DEX: 3| STA:2 | CON:3 | WIS:3 | CHA:2

If a man achieves victory over this body, who in the world can exercise power over him?

He who rules himself rules over the whole world. –Vinoba Bhave

Mudder the Tough up! Just Do It!

Ha! My biggest problem with paleo is that I don't like me so much. Give me plant based protein any day. I like the suggestions I found at NF that say take things in small steps and celebrate each success. If paleo is going to be hard, then start with a modified paleo diet; try to be close to full paleo by December, January, February? I haven't decided yet for myself actually. Keep us posted on your rebellion.

Human Warrior

Hi there !! Welcome in the Rebellion !! :D

Your races seem just insanes... Congratulations for completing the 5k one !!

And for the food, I think the key is to do really tiny little steps. Yeah, that tiny !! For example, my diet goal for the current challenge is to eat 2 veggies and 2 fruits per day. I don't cut anything, still allow me some sweets or chocolate, but with adding some green in my plate, I easily manage to add diversity in my meals ! ^^

Don't hesitate to check others Rebel's challenges, it will give you nice ideas for the next 6 week challenge. Or maybe you're in to join the current one? :)

Good luck with everything !

STR 7.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 4.5 | CON 5 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 3Challenges : First | Second Third

Welcome. Tough Mudder eh? Nutter. (Doing it in less than a month, fear has set in..). I'm pretty good at sticking to Paleo and it *is* possible to have curry (no rice or nan sadly) but I work near brick lane and live near leicester, so I probably have a wider selection to choose from than most :).

Good luck with the diet and the training and assuming I take part and survive I'll let you know what it's like :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

@maledictus: thanks for the welcome. can't wait to hear how your Tough Mudder experience goes!

curry without rice or naan?!?! oh the travesty! the sacrilege! lol. so presumably the non-cream based curries are ok? i mean, normally i have korma or birayni, so obviously eventually they will be out of the question...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If a man achieves victory over this body, who in the world can exercise power over him?

@raven: I have to say i'm not sure i understand the 6 week challenge thing yet. i haven't looked into it very much. how does it work?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome K.J! The 6 week challenges - I could explain it but I'm lazy and have to go to bed so I'll leave this link here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17808-Challenge-Rules-and-FAQ

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. And again, welcome!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

hey all, so i got my head around the 6 week challenge, and here it is for your viewing pleasure!!! Hope i got the right idea!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived