Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie who has lurked awhile...

Here it is almost a year later and my goals I set in January have flown away with the summer heat. I did well for three months and then *poof*-- LIFE got in the damn way.

I had finally got my head ok with not paying too much attention to the scale, working out (with weights!), & eating healthy. I felt better than I had in a long time BUT... I allowed some other issues to cloud my vision and I lost site of why I started my journey in the first place.

Now, months later, I realize I need to refocus. Because I can not be the person I truly want to be if I don't take care of myself.

Ok- enough of that.... I am here for support and hope to give the same. I don't have a lot of support from family & friends because I get the same thing all the time-- 'You look great! You don't need to do anything'. Well I am what some ppl refer to as skinny/fat. I'm 42 yrs old, 120lbs, 5'2". My cholesterol and blood pressure is excellent but I feel terrible. And I haven't checked it lately but my guess is my body fat is back up to about 28% UGH!

I would like to know if my goals are unrealistic or maybe they are not challenging enough?

So- my goals are: * lift weights 3 days a week *ultimately increasing weight by 50% in 3 months

* cleaner diet *paleo with exception of cheese in 3 months

* cut back on smoking (please don't bash me) *be a non smoker in 3 months

* decrease body fat by 10%

*cardio 30 min/2x a wk *find a cardio activity that I love

I don't really have a weight goal because I truly don't care if I weigh 120, 130 or 115. I just figure if I actually do the things above, my weight will be in line.

Just so you know, I have lurked on the site for a while now. I tend to be the over thinker (collecting underpants). I have the time and the motivation to do what I need to do but I get frustrated when I don't see results (after months) so I am probably doing something wrong?? I have monitored my calories in the past and now and my intake is usually around 1200-1400. I have been told that isn't enough and I do consume more when I work out (1550). I don't know... I just need reminders sometimes to focus on the goal, watch the inches and weights and not the scale.

Thanks for 'listening' :)

LEVEL 1 HUMAN ADVENTURER

First Challenge

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:4 CHA:3

"Reality is merely perception but perception is clearer[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] when the truth is known."

Hey Quel, it's a pleasure. Nice to see your goals; and you're right, looking after the rest of your goals will definately have your weight falling in line, whatever the number is. Good for you for looking after yourself -- that is definately important. There are lots of us "over thinkers" around -- glad to see you've finally joined the ranks of people ready to actually do something towards reaching their "ultimate goal". Look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

* cut back on smoking (please don't bash me) *be a non smoker in 3 months

No bashing here. I smoked for 10+ years, 2 packs a day. After multiple attempts, I went and saw a clinical hypnotherapist and walked out a non-smoker 3 years ago.

Hopefully this is a helpful avenue for you to pursue to become a non smoker!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Thank you for the welcome. I did some measurements and calculated my body fat % (I know the caliper method is preferred but I don't have access). I am at 27 % (waist 28, neck 11, thigh 17, bicep 9, weight 115lbs) . Two days after my first post my 22 yr old son was hospitalized (again) and subsequently had to have open heart surgery. When I am in emotionally stressful situations, all my will power goes out the window! I give into the gooey, greasy temptations...and I smoke like a chimney. I have to figure out a way to make working out my 'go-to' when I am stressed. And I might have to look into the hypno-therapy thing as it is the only thing I haven't tried.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome, encouragement & support :)

LEVEL 1 HUMAN ADVENTURER

First Challenge

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:4 CHA:3

"Reality is merely perception but perception is clearer[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] when the truth is known."

Welcome from a fellow Lurker, Quel!

Hopefully in the last week you have gotten some good news about your son. That is a huge deal and I think it really speaks to your commitment to getting healthier that you are trying to overcome old habits even with something like that going on! (I've certainly relapsed in the past for much less).

As for your goals, I think that those are a great way to measure progress (3 months healthy eating, cut down smoking and increase exercise) I think it would be difficult to measure results with body fat percentage so taking measurements with a good 'ol tape may be the way to go, unless you have the cash to shell out for one of those other ways. Also I think taking a photo might help. Whenever I need some motivation a few "before" pictures always seem to do the trick.

Again, I hope your son is going well!

Jeff

level 2 Piratical Ranger
STR 8 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge X Find Me on Fitocracy X Add me on Run Keeper X

Archived