Forums are back in action! ×

Well this place is great

I have been trying to implement my life as a game for a long but like an idiot thought I was alone. Imagine my excitement when I stumbled across Nerd Fitness. It seems to be right in my wheel house.

Some Recent Stats about me:

My recent bench marks on this journey have been a weight loss of 30Lbs, (230Lbs Now) Dropped my Body Fat % From 25+ to Between 18-19%. Completion of a 5K (~26min.), 7K(~39min.) and 10K(~54min). My Goal is 215Lbs at 10% body fat. I am also currently training for a Tough Mudder race in 2013.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Furyan Ranger

STR 7| DEX 4 | STA 6.5 | CON 4 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

on the path to become a Master Ranger/Assasin

"You have not failed until you quit trying"

Chalange 1 Current

Wow, sounds like you've already done quite a lot - congrats on the weight loss and the great race times! I'm trying to get faster (I'm really, really slow), so I'd be curious to hear what your running regimen is/was.

You can build speed and endurance without a running regimen! For me, Kendo has given me the bulk of my speed and endurance, and it has given me SIGNIFICANT results! When I started out, i was trying to work up to running a mile, starting at a 1/4mi jog then building speed as my endurance increased. But, if you want good running advice, there are a couple of forums you could ask: Rebellion HQ, the running forum, or drop by the assassins, scouts (I think), or rangers. I'd hedge my bet on one of the first three for finding excess running info.

Do the adventurers not have a whole lot of running? Seems like they would too..

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

COb, I've been building my running, but I'm still a relative newbie. Basically, my running philosophy is just to get out the door and go, but I've been doing a little more interval work lately and I've been really happy with it. I'm definitely running farther than I was, and I am a bit faster - but I started out really slow, so even a bit faster than that is still slow!

@Cob Thanks for the welcome and the props on the avatar. It is a family crest of sorts.

@BeigeTurtle It has been quite a process thus far but totally worth it. As far as running goes, when I started I could not even run a full mile. I wanted to do a 5K so my first training day I did it. Not fast but I wanted to prove to myself that I could go at least that far. It gave me a bench mark. My first measured 5K took over an hour. but that gave me something to beat. Then I would train during the week and race myself every sunday (well some saturdays or mondays depending on the week.) You'd be surprised how deep you will dig in order to beat 'ghost you' It did not take long to improve my pace. When I started I would run 3x/wk and walk 3x/wk to avoid injury. The best improvement to my speed actually came from hills or in increasing the incline on the treadmill if I was inside. I was amazed at how much more work it was to do the same run on a 5 degree incline. Another way I improved speed was to run short distance fast then rest and do it again. (example: run 1 mile 5 times with rest in between each mile instead of the total distance at one time.) Now I will try to get 3 runs in per week. Hopefully that answered your question a little bit. Keep at it buddy consistency is the key to improvement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Furyan Ranger

STR 7| DEX 4 | STA 6.5 | CON 4 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

on the path to become a Master Ranger/Assasin

"You have not failed until you quit trying"

Chalange 1 Current

Archived