Forums are back in action! ×

Free Weights and Fibromyalgia?

DaygloNirvana

Hello all!

I'm poking around gyms this week, looking for the perfect fit. One of the things that's attracting me is lifting free weights. This *really* interests me more than anything else. Problem? My fibro gives me pain most specifically in my upper arms and shoulders, especially when lifting over my head (sometimes getting my shirt over my head can be painfully difficult). I know that the pain isn't muscular damage, and that doctors recommend exercise to help with fibro pain on a long-term basis, but I'm wondering if this activity just won't be for me.

Is there anyone else around here like me?

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

Hollar at Victoriaoke? If I remember correctly she has FM as well..... http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18810-Victoriaoke-s-First-Challenge-(Level-Uber-Newbie)!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Sending you a longer PM response, but in short, learn proper form without weights first, then start light and go slow until you are able to isolate the parts of the movement that give you difficulty. Get a gym buddy to be your spotter on any movements that you know you have trouble with, but don't let the pain stop you. Try to think about it this way: Fibromyalgia gives you a greater awareness of your body than most people, and you can use that awareness to your advantage. Become the person everyone uses as an example of "perfect form."

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." -Nelson Mandela

Archived