Forums are back in action! ×

This is Anna's origin story

Hi guys,

I've been following the Nerd Fitness blog for a few months now, but I'm a total n00b on the boards so I thought I'd say hi. Basically, I've begun a quest to level up my life in myriad ways, and one aspect of this is my physical fitness and diet.

I quit my job in December and am now completely freelance (as a writer and translator), and while that gives me a lot more free time and control of my schedule, it also means I need to make a much bigger effort to discipline myself and use my time most efficiently. I've made the switch to a paleo diet since the start of the year, and have stuck to it fairly well, though I haven't really felt any effects yet (it's still early, I know). I don't own a scale, but I tend to fluctuate between 60 and 65 kg (I'm 170cm tall), which is healthy but I'd like to lose the little beer gut I developed over the past couple of years and see more muscle tone.

I have been doing Wing Chun Kung Fu training 2-3 times a week for nearly a year now (anyone else out there Kung Fu fighting?), and when it's not wintertime I run a couple of days per week, but that's been irregular. I'd like to work out more at home, and more importantly, get more from my workouts.

Basically, I'd like to be fit enough to excel at Kung Fu (right now I'm at the lower end of my intermediate class), be strong enough to kick some ass if necessary (or survive a zombie apocalypse), be able to stick to a healthy diet without sacrificing the occasional Mexican food pig-out, and feel like I'm really leveling up in this part of my life (while working on the rest as well).

Oh, and I live in Poland (that big Central European country Dubya forgot about), though I spent a good part of my childhood and teenage years in the US. Any other Europeans around?

(Oh, and as you can see from the photo, Starbuck from the new BSG is my hero)

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Welcome, and it's great to have a fellow BSG lover around. I've been madly in love with Starbuck since the mini-series aired in 2003.

You're in good company in terms of your goals and your diet. There are a lot of hardcore cave people (paleo dieters) here, and we're all trying to slim down, bulk up, or, for a few of us, do both at the same time. :D

Also, congratulations on the switch to freelance. That's been my dream for years, but I'm no closer now than when I graduated college. I hope it works out well for you.

Absolutly love your sense of humor... this is going to fun if you ever want to motivationally tag team anyone. *grins* I know exactly what you mean about excelling at a martial art and being stuck in the class, though my art of choice is Brazilian Jui Jitsu. I'm hoping to get back into classes when my daughter's in school. Welcome! Don't be shy and have fun....

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .