Forums are back in action! ×

Signing up

I'm about to sign up for my first 5k that takes place in march! I'm very excited about it but I'm also kinda nervous. I'm afraid I'll get out there and be around all those super fit people and feel embarrassed or chicken out. Right now I can run 1.5 miles without stopping but hopefully before then I can get almost to where I can run it all. I'm having trouble increasing my distance right now. Does anyone have any tips about a first race? Anything I should know before I go so I don't embarrass myself? I've got a couple of friends who may go with me but not sure they've ever been to one either, so any tips would be great! Thanks guys!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Congrats! I had the same fears that everyone else would be super fit, etc, when I did my first race but I found that wasn't the case. Of course there are some of those guys but there are also plenty of average or slightly out of shape people (eg, me) there too.

My only advice for the race itself is to take it easy at the start, especially as this is your first race. The race atmosphere and all the other people running around you will make you want to run too hard too early. Aim to run an even race and finish strong. If you can do this you'll pass tons of people as most start fading badly towards the end and passing people is great, I find it gives me that little bit extra motivation to keep pushing hard.

Good luck!

Thanks mark! That really does help. It will feel great to pass people but I'm sure just being out there will feel amazing. I'll try to keep my pace steady no matter how many people pass me. What time did you finish on your first 5k? I'm sure mine will be horrible, but being out there counts for something i suppose.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Being there is definitely the most important thing. Just by turning up you're already ahead of all the people who don't bother trying! Do you have a plan worked out to train for this?

To answer your question, I've actually never done an official 5k race. I did 5k at the end of my first triathlon in 23:34 but I'm pretty sure that the distance was wrong. I didn't expect to be able to run that quick if I fresh, let alone having just done the swim and bike legs, and I had already done a number of races before this as well.

I've been slowling increasing my running distance with no walking. I've got it up to 1.5 miles at the moment. I can push myself a little further than that but it's very hard for me in my current shape. I plan to push up to 2 before the end of the month if I possibly can.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Try mixing running with walking. (Run 30 seconds, walk 1 minute, or whatever you are up to.) It actually lets you go longer than just running and will increase your fitness with less risk of injury. As for the race, definitely take it slow at the start and pace yourself. A 5k is nothing, it'll be over before you know it, so relax and enjoy the trip.

Also, I hope you're taking time to warm up before every run, and cool down and stretch after. It will save you SO much misery, trust me.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

when i did my first 5k it was after a month of not doing the c25k program which i had been doing. i essentially stopped c25k, didn't work out for a month, and then did a 5k. NOT SMART. my time sucked. 45min. however, it was my first 5k, and now it's something for me to strive to do better on. my advice is to make sure you are training outside. i was training on a treadmill, and the 5k i ran had a lot of hills. that really set me back. also, make sure you are super hydrated for the days leading up to the race.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Try mixing running with walking. (Run 30 seconds, walk 1 minute, or whatever you are up to.) It actually lets you go longer than just running and will increase your fitness with less risk of injury. As for the race, definitely take it slow at the start and pace yourself. A 5k is nothing, it'll be over before you know it, so relax and enjoy the trip.

Also, I hope you're taking time to warm up before every run, and cool down and stretch after. It will save you SO much misery, trust me.

Thanks for all the tips! Yes I do warm up and cool down properly. I used to skip that part and learned very quickly that it was a mistake. I hope to enjoy the trip and that my nervousness around new people doesnt keep me from enjoying it to much.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

when i did my first 5k it was after a month of not doing the c25k program which i had been doing. i essentially stopped c25k, didn't work out for a month, and then did a 5k. NOT SMART. my time sucked. 45min. however, it was my first 5k, and now it's something for me to strive to do better on. my advice is to make sure you are training outside. i was training on a treadmill, and the 5k i ran had a lot of hills. that really set me back. also, make sure you are super hydrated for the days leading up to the race.

I feel like 45min, even with all my training, is the best I could do right now. I've never been an athletic person up until this point in my life and am honestly having a hard time adjusting to it. I have been training outside since I do not own a treadmill but I havent been running alot of hills...I guess I should take care of that! Staying properly hydrated is a huge problem I have, it honestly just slips my mind to keep drinking water. Thanks for the tips!

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Good luck! Your first 5K is a really special event. It will be much more enjoyable for you if you are ready for it. Don't be so concerned with your time, because really it's you vs. you, so... who cares how fast you are?

Also, those "fit people" at the 5K won't care how fast you are or anything like that. It's awesome just to see everyone out there putting in the effort, and there will probably be lots of other newbies just like youself. Many people are friendly at races, and some offer encouragement like "keep it up!" or "doing great!", which doesn't sound like much right now but can really motivate you when you're out there running.

Thanks for all the tips! It's good to know that people will actually be friendly and encouraging! I'll do my best not to worry about my time but what i'm a worrying type of person lol

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!