Forums are back in action! ×

Yo-Yo is a toy, not a lifestyle

Hello all. I've been reading Nerd Fitness for a few months (and sending articles along to my husband on occasion as well) but have been reluctant to join the forums. I am tired of having my health and fitness on a constant pendulum swing, and I am ready to take control.

The basics about me- I'm MC, 29 years old (next month) and I have been married for 10 years. We have a 9 year old son, a 7 year old daughter, and 2 dogs. I work a sedentary job (admin assistant) and go to school full time (thank goodness for online classes!) Currently, I am about 40-50 lbs heavier than I would like to be, eating a diet of "quick" and "easy" meals (read: unhealthy) and my exercise consists of the occasional trips up and down stairs at work (and then only because I have horrible anxiety and I'm scared of elevators!)

This was me in high school, too (well, minus the kids and husband) This was not me 5-6 years ago. Back then I ate right on a consistent basis, worked out nearly every day (mostly running, yoga, and pilates) and really worked hard to experience my life, spending time off the couch and with my kids. Since we moved to the south (home) I have acquired the ghastly habit of excuse making and my heath and fitness has gone through the yo-yo effect.

I signed up for a Zombie themed 5K a few weeks ago. I discovered quickly that, in the event of the Zombie apocalypse, I will be eaten. Probably first.

My children did the 1 mile fun run. And did amazing! And I realized that, not only was I disgusted with myself, but I was incredibly proud of them. They remembered the healthy habits they used to practice. They still make active and nutritious choices day to day. And, if I want to keep up with them, instead of teaching them to mimic my new lifestyle, I need to step up my game and level up my life.

Which is where nerd fitness comes in. And I'm very excited to be here!

Level 1 Druid
STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2
Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

i did a zombie 5k too with my buddy in august! We made it about 3k then died. make one change a week and soon you will be living healthy! read the forums, read the blogs, check out the challenges.

Feel free to ask anyone anything! We are a community of support, motivation, and drive! Welcome aboard!

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

Welcome! I've found kids are an excellent reason to get in shape and can be absolute tyrants if you even think about backsliding :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

word. i'm so glad that my son is active and showing an interest in sports. the value of getting joy from physical activity was never instilled in me as a child and i've been a sedentary apologist as an adult. i plan on promoting his athleticism and he inspires me to want to keep up! to run just for the sake of going fast...

bombshell

level 3

amazon adventurerSTR 8.5|DEX 2.75|STA 7.25|CON 8|WIS 9.25|CHA 3

queen of the rink

I just wanted to say thanks for the offered support and encouragement. Everyone is right, of course, kids are an amazing motivator! It helps a lot that I have one who loves to cook and try new foods, and another who is never still. I'm searching for my place now, I think I'm a Druid (not vegetarian, though), so I'm looking forward to the start of the next challenge so I can get to know my guild!

Level 1 Druid
STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2
Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

Archived