Forums are back in action! ×

Group Job Interview D:

Marie

So I'm panicking right now. I just got a call back from a place I applied for about a year ago, and I assumed that I was too late for holiday hiring, but I guess I was wrong. It's going to be a group interview, and I have NEVER EVER been apart of a group interview. The interview is TOMORROW, and I AM SCARED.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS? :hororr:

It's at Bed Bath and Bodyworks if that matters

Well I dont know how they do it in Vegas but here in NZ group interviews are generally looking for two things: 1) That you have the right attitude and 2) that you exercise some sort of leadership quality (if they do group activities). They generally want people that can lead but listen and facilitate the group, not be arrogant and authoritative. Coming from someone who's job it is to help people prep for interviews I'd recommend three things:

1) Dress well

2) Be yourself and remain positive

3) practice your answers to both general and behavioral interview questions.

Put yourself in the employers shoes and think 'what would I ask someone, or want to know about somebody' if you were hiring them for the role. Then the majority of interview questions come naturally. For example, If I were hiring for a baker I would want to know their qualifications, experience, attitude, flexibility to work early, how they interact with customer and other staff and what some of their goals for the next few years are. I think the best interview's are the ones where you answer the question accurately with examples and don't waffle too much.

All the best Marie, If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Well I dont know how they do it in Vegas but here in NZ group interviews are generally looking for two things: 1) That you have the right attitude and 2) that you exercise some sort of leadership quality (if they do group activities). They generally want people that can lead but listen and facilitate the group, not be arrogant and authoritative. Coming from someone who's job it is to help people prep for interviews I'd recommend three things:

1) Dress well

2) Be yourself and remain positive

3) practice your answers to both general and behavioral interview questions.

Put yourself in the employers shoes and think 'what would I ask someone, or want to know about somebody' if you were hiring them for the role. Then the majority of interview questions come naturally. For example, If I were hiring for a baker I would want to know their qualifications, experience, attitude, flexibility to work early, how they interact with customer and other staff and what some of their goals for the next few years are. I think the best interview's are the ones where you answer the question accurately with examples and don't waffle too much.

All the best Marie, If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

I'm a good listener, and I have a good attitude, but I don't have leaderish qualities ... This is the second job interview I've had in my entire life, and at my first job, things did not turn out so well. I'm not quite a leader, and I don't know how to compensate for my lack of leadership.

Also, I generally am not good with groups of people in casual social settings; I close up and hide in the corner. I am afraid of the unknown/not being prepared. I google stuff about group interviews, but most of the time the interview ends up being something different than what sites usually tell you :[

Just remember, the people also in the group feel just as nervous as you. Probably some feel even more nervous. Speak slowly, to the point that you think they're going to get bored waiting for the next word. If you're nervous this will cause you to speak at about a normal pace.

I totally agree with you, and I'm just going off what employers have told me they are looking for... however that's ridiculous because of course not everyone is a leader or wants to be (I sure don't) but I think that getting in with the group activity, if there is one, and being an active participant of the group is necessary even if it's uncomfortable.

The absolute key to job interviews is making a first impression. As soon as you walk in the door, within 20sec or less the interviewers have made a summary of you in their heads... They have decided what sort of person you are, what you probably like, what sort of family you have, car you drive, movies you like etc. Whether they are right or wrong is not the issue, the issue is that you need to give a first impression of the sort of person they want. If you make a good impression the rest of the interview is you backing up your good impression, if your first impression is bad then you are trying to undo the impression you made for the rest of the interview... sounds hard, but impressions are all about perception and not necessarily truth. You could have an impression of confidence but inside you are scared as hell. But it does take a bit of practice.

Employers are looking for someone who 1) Can do the job 2) Will do the job 3) and will fit in with the current staff. Make sure you know what the position is you are going for and find out as much as you can about the company... employers want to know that you want to work for them, and not just get any job.

As far as interview confidence goes I would write down all the interview questions you expect to get asked and then get a family member or friend to ask you them, like in a pretend interview. You can practice giving your answers and get your pretend-interviewer to give you honest feedback on how you are coming across.

Some typical interview questions here in NZ are:

Tell me a bit about yourself?

Why do you want to work here?

Why should I hire you?

What do you know about this position, or what experience have you had in a similar role?

What does good customer service mean to you?

How do you deal with conflict in the work place?

How do you work best? Or what do you expect from a manager etc?

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Also something to bear in mind is that nervousness is not a bad thing. We often feel that it is because we want to show off our best self, but often employers appreciate nervousness because it shows you actually care about the position, and are respectful. It's when nervousness grips you in it's wicked hold and you clam up completely that it becomes a prob.

My Blog

My Book Reviews

Archived