Forums are back in action! ×

Cheap kettlebells?

You could always try a trial or short-term membership at a kettlebell gym, if there are any around you. You might then determine that 60 bucks is pretty fair to get one of your own.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Might I toss in a word of warning please? "Cheap" and anything can be a terrifying combination. There're a LOT of companies right now putting out kettlebells because they've gotten enough press lately that they're "trendy" and "faddish" with no concept of why they're designed the way they are. CHEAP could completely kill any chance you have of being properly introduced to the KB and wanting to use one ever again.

The thickness of the handle, the amount of space between the bell and the handle, and the angle of the corners of the handle are VERY SPECIFIC. You can't just slap a handle on a ball of iron and make a kettlebell. The dimensions will directly effect your ability to grip, how it sits in your hand during dynamic movments, if you can grip it properly to keep your wrist alignment correct, and most importantly if you're going to SHRED THE INSIDE OF YOUR HANDS. Yes, I'm using caps on purpose. A poorly designed kettlebell will chew the ever loving crap out of your hands, form nasty callouses, and then sadistically tear them out again. If the handle doesn't allow you to get the bell into structurally sound position during any of the racked or pressing movements it'll throw off your posture and you could hurt yourself trying to compensate for the deviation. It also could totally mess up any chance you have of developing proper lifting technique and trash your back. Seriously... it's a heavy heavy weight you're supposed to throw around.

My suggestion would be to only purchase a kettlebell from a reputable company that has experience either with certifying kettlebell instructors or has worked directly with experienced kettlebell instructors to design their equipment. The three big names for kettlebells in North America are Shawn Mozen and Agatsu, Steve Cotter and the IKFF, and Pavel Tsatsouline with Dragondoor. (that being said, all three are internationally active) If you don't want to spend the money, look up the instructor's lists for any of those three companies and contact a trainer in your area and ask if they offer a short introduction so you can get your hands on one and feel what it's supposed to feel like. I seriously recommend at least a beginner's course on KB stuff anyway - mainly for the above reasons. The initial movements are extremely technical and OMG don't just browse youtube. LOL Just like anything else, some of the idiots on there will get you killed.... *wicked grin*

Sorry if this comes across as a little paranoid: I'm a certified Level 1 instructor through Agatsu, going for my advanced Level 2 in June. I've had to try to fix people who've developed dangerously bad habits with a cheapie and I've had to completely reintroduce people who had learned to hate the tool because of their first experience was with a cheapie.

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

If you're just wanting to do 2-arm swings, consider making the t-bar that Tim Ferriss has in the 4-hour body.

Outside of that, I second what Cacophony said, you owe it to yourself to buy a nice one. The first one I bought was from a big-box sporting goods store (GoFit brand) and the rough handle DESTROYED my hands. I moved on to some kettlebells from Ader (which ARE nice.), and eventually to World Kettlebell Club's competition style ones, and each was a huge jump in quality from the last.

I've heard good things about dragondoor and lifeline as well, but getting some initial instruction and getting your hands on one before really doing it will go a long way.

-David Bruehl-

my website

"We seek not to imitate the masters. Rather, we seek what they sought."

...The first one I bought was from a big-box sporting goods store (GoFit brand) and the rough handle DESTROYED my hands....

Awwww, man I feel for you. Total kudos for sticking with it and realizing it was the kb and not kettlebell training in general.

...I moved on to some kettlebells from Ader (which ARE nice.), and eventually to World Kettlebell Club's competition style ones, and each was a huge jump in quality from the last.

I use the Agatsu at home and I've used the Ader's as well. The competition bells look like fun and when I'm ready for 20kilos I'll be picking up competitions instead of the standard sizing. For those who have no clue what the difference is: Competition kettlebells are all the same size, just different weights. With the standard kettlebells the 8kilo is smaller than the 12kilo, which is smaller than the 16kilo... etc. The big benefit to using the competition size is that when you change in weight nothing else changes - not the handle thickness or bell size - which makes it easier to develop your technique and learn how to hold your posture. Racking something the size of a grapefruit and then trying to rack something the size of a decent pumpkin doesn't feel the same. =)

After using both, I'd say both styles have their merits.

The comp bells took an adjustment period. The comp 53 felt heavier in use than my normal 53. I think it's the fact that the handle is smaller and stays the same size across all weights makes competition bells put a little more stress on your wrists and forearms, especially with the heavier sizes. Having such a large bell is strange to clean at first, but is eventually more comfortable in the rack to me. Also, the handle is not as wide as on cast kettlebells, so I use a hook grip in two arm swings with pinkies almost straight or outside the handle. (big hands)

I like the comp bells MUCH better on snatches, the thinner ultra smooth handle "jumps" places in your hand easily avoiding the hand tears on high reps when your technique is solid. High rep cleans, clean&presses, clean&jerks etc. the comps are awesome. Also the large bell makes great stability for renegade rows.

The lighter smaller handle and heavier bell, though, makes pressing a little more of a bear, especially at first. I adapted, though, and comps are all I use now. (I'm personally working towards girevoy sport so comp bells are a must.)

So while I think in most ways comp bells are better, to people who are just gonna buy one and do stuff like two arm swings and maybe clean and presses, though, I'd recommend the normal style.

-David Bruehl-

my website

Look for steve cotter, IKFF, and RKC, and Jeff Martone on youtube. they teach different methodologies but they all give solid info. That should get you started on the basic lifts; but when you can, try and get with a cert coach of some sort to get your form checked. You'll walk away getting something of value out of it.

-David Bruehl-

my website

I'm kind of in a odd situation and not really wanting to pay for classes anywhere, mainly I'm in one city 4 days a week and another the other 3 days. Are any of the videos (by licensed trainers) any good? That you know of anyway?

*shrugs* You've had a couple people explain why having a trainer walk you through the movements is a good idea. You've had a couple of people explain the reasons why a trainer is worth it. Sorry, man. I can't professionally or morally suggest a video knowing that if you don't understand the technique and get the movement wrong or you miss a step with the postural alignment you could permenantly hurt yourself. It's not a static weight like a dumbbell or a barbell. Whipping around a ball of iron has huge physical benefits both neurologically and dynamically but it's an easy thing to accidentally mess up and gimp yourself with. Bestest of luck and if you have any basic questions I'd love to help you find the answers but I can't do a training session remotely. =) Or I'd offer to. Advanced equipment and specialized equipment requires training, which costs money and takes an investment of time. If you're not able to spend the money or currently have the time you might want to consider sticking with a safer piece of equipment until you have the time and money to properly look into it. I LOVE kettlebells and I'll always have them as part of my regular workout. I recommend them to anyone who's interested in integrated, functional movement. That being said, I personally went so far as to get certified as a trainer long before I started teaching the stuff because of how technical those basic moves can be even though they look deceptively simple. It's kind of like a squat... it's not as simple as just bending over and picking up heavy stuff or everyone would have a 2.5xbody weight deadlift. It just looks like it should be that simple.