Forums are back in action! ×

Just Getting Started

Hello everyone!

My name is Ian, but I go by Xelent on the forums. I am a 25 year old with a IT desk job. I am also a avid gamer and recent comic book reader (learning Spanish phrases from comics is easy to pick up and understand) I found this site just this last friday and decided to join. About two years ago I purchases a Trek 1.5 and wanted to start riding. Back then I was able to do 15 miles without any problems. However now it has gotten to the point where I ride the same route and after two miles I am out of breath and turn back for home.

I have been working roughly in Puebla, Mexico for nines mouths out of the twp years and have been struggling to find healthy food to eat as well as a really good gym. My apartment I have there is pretty much like a hotel, only a bathroom and bedroom. In Mexico, (at least at my job) you only have 30 minutes to eat, and you can't leave the company unless you have a written pass. They have a cafeteria, and everyday it is some type of meat with chili (green or red depending on the day) Do you have any suggested of Mexican food that will assist with my weight loss? I currently started doing the Paleo.

Also, in February I will also be getting married (Three Months!) and want to look better than I currently do.

Current Goals:

- 10 Regular Pushups

- Run 1+ miles without stopping

- Ride 18+ miles without stopping or walking

- Lose 20+ Pounds

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Xelent, level 1 Fire elemental adventurer

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Welcome Xelent! Congrats on the wedding!

I just recently switched to a desk job and have noticed how easy it is to sit at my desk all day and then come home at night and sit on the couch some more. I've never been to Puebla, but it seems like a pretty big place, do they have any good grocery stores there? One thing that has helped me is to make my meal the night before and take that into work (coincidentally, check out all of the different lunch boxes you can find online, some of these things are amazing, it's actually pretty fun to pack lunch for me now).

I'm positive that if you are able to make progress with food, running and riding the 20lbs won't be an issue, it will just happen. One plan that could be really helpfull is the 100 push-ups website. They also do a pull-up plan that has been fun to try as well.

Jeff

level 2 Piratical Ranger
STR 8 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge X Find Me on Fitocracy X Add me on Run Keeper X

While living in Charlotte, I hear a lot of people saying don't go to Mexico. There are so many killings, something will happen to you, ect. Personally I never wanted to work in Mexico, however I wanted to learn Spanish. Since living there for nine months, my Spanish has greatly improved and haven't had any problems whatsoever (other than Taxi drivers trying to get me to pay double fare). I suggest anyone that wants to visit some historic places and REALLY celebrate Cinco de Mayo needs to go to Puebla.

They do have Walmart and Sams. However, a lot of grocery stores are more of wannabe Sams. They sell food, clothes, car parts, ect. Really weird thing too is they keep Milk in cartons/boxes without keeping them cool. I have never seen anyone like this before. I definitely try your idea about cooking the night before. This will save my a lot of time. Cooking my dinner one night and then eating the leftovers for lunch the next day.

b

A lot of my riding will have to be on a stationary bike. If you ever been to Mexico, doesn't matter where, just by looking how the people drive and the roads.

Is this the site you are referring to? http://hundredpushups.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]
Guest shaka-spirit

Xelent, welcome :)

I think the best part about going to a new place is finding the things that will work for you, and discovering things you never realised were there in the first place. And if people warn you off, you just have to turn to them and say "Have you been there, then?" because if they haven't, their info is just from what they've read and been told, and you can't get a good estimation of what your experience will be like until you're in the new place and actually seeing it for yourself.

And yes, the cooking one night and taking leftovers is an awesome idea. If you have the space/facilities, you could also specifically make time one day a week to make things for lunch for that week, and then you don't have to worry about making enough food for lunch the next day when all you really want to do is fall on your bed face down and sleep for 11 hours.

While living in Charlotte, I hear a lot of people saying don't go to Mexico.
I'm from southern California originally and that was how we took many vacations was to go down to some new place in mexico. I don't think I or anyone I know has ever had problems there, but you are right the news blows it up to make it sound awful. I'm glad your experience there is going well too. It sounds like a great way to learn about a different culture!

Yeah the cooking thing does get a little hard sometimes, even today I went and got some healthy standby (somewhat) instant meals of brown rice and instant veggies. What I've had the most luck with is just cooking a little extra for dinner and cutting my portion in half for the next day.

Is this the site you are referring to? http://hundredpushups.com/

Yep! That's the site. Stick with the schedule he provides and you'll be busting out pushups no problem (I can't do 100 yet, but I'm pretty confident that I can do 30-40, and I started only being able to do 10 or so)

Jeff

level 2 Piratical Ranger
STR 8 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge X Find Me on Fitocracy X Add me on Run Keeper X

Welcome to the Rebellion! Even if you are abandoning NC for Mexico. :boxing: Sounds like a fun adventure though.

jajaja I will be back in Charlotte in February with my new wifey.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Archived