Forums are back in action! ×

Call to All Math Nerds... HELP?

My teacher doesn't answer questions on the discussion forum and no one else in class seems to be able to answer my questions, so this english major is going to beg rescuing from the more mathimatically gifted, nice people here. I am EXTREMELY right brained and formulas confuse the stuffing out of me. Here's the problem:

We're supposed to be calculating estimated VO2 values using predicted equations and nomograms. ..... It took me an hour this afternoon to be able to even phrase that in a way that didn't sound like "calculating that oxygen muscle thing with formulas using those stick graphs with lots of numbers on them that I have no clue how to use". The most confusing question on the forums right now is involving the {superscript -1} in the formulas. I can't figure out how to get superscript and subscript in this thread so the brackets with the descriptor are not mathematical brackets. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything in the right places.

Most of the formulas are expressed as:

ml{dot in the middle}kg{superscript -1}{dot in the middle}min{superscript -1}

God, that looks awful having to longhand it out that way. Anyhow... I understand that the {dot in the middle} stands for "per" as in milliliters PER kilogram. What's messing me up is that superscript -1. I've got someone in the class trying to say that any number superscript is an exponent but I don't understand why the equation would equal something to the negative 1 exponential... can you even DO that? A friend of mine is taking advance Chemistry and she said it stands for "inverted" as in 2{superscript -1} is equivelent to 1/2. So 5{superscript -1} would be 1/5, etc.

HELP??? My test on this is next week and I have no clue what I'm doing. LOL

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

So, If I understand what you are asking is

ml • kg^-1 • min^-1

(the ^ denotes that the number would be an exponent)

Your Chemistry friend is correct that the simplest way to explain the negative exponent is that "its a fraction with a 1 over it".

So,

5^-1 would be 1/5 (or one fifth).

to make it a little clearer, if x is a real number

x^1 = x

x^2 = x*x

x^-1 = 1/x

x^-2 = 1/(x^2)

I hope that helps.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/exponent2.htm

I love you, Kahn. I'd offer to bear your children and all that but I've got three. And yes, you managed to un-butcher that beautifully. You rock. *bows at your feet repeatedly* You can be un-afraid of me until the relief wears off and I'm back to my regular persona. *wicked grin* Then I recommend re-assuming the safety position.... Jedi should be buff. *beams**kender off*

(checks pockets and hope I still still have my lightsaber)

*looks innocent* Ignore that sound... my tummy is just rumbling. I'm hungry. And no, my butt isn't really glowing you're seeing things... Did you drop this? You must have dropped this. Damn, it's a good thing I FOUND it for you! I mean, someone could hurt themselves with it! Would you like it back or can I make a few more swooshing noises?