Forums are back in action! ×

Exercise, Contradictions, and Chiropractors

Oddly at this statement, these three things go together. After finally passing the finish line, (I'm going to start trying to eat Paleo tomorrow), I was at my chiropractors today getting a routine adjustment. So as usual he discusses that I need to work my left arm more (due to not having a left hand its been not exactly natural to me, but I'm working on it), things I need to do to get a curve out of my back, how strong my legs are under me, and then more on exercise and free weight vs. weight machines. He was saying I needed to be on weight machines more to build muscle and not do free weights because they beat up the small stabilizer muscles. Odd thing is, between listening to people on here and Steve, you need to do free weights because it'll build those stabilizer muscles instead of 'beat them up'

So here I am, farm boy, still somewhat fresh off the farm, totally don't get fitness unless its drawn out well for me, and then there are these two conflicting things. Yes, I currently use weight machines at the gym, but I was thinking my ultimate goal was free weights. Can someone make rational sense of this? Cause unless its a box that I can create 50 kV in....I just don't get it.

Yes, you do want the free weights.

And exactly for that reason: Stabilizer muscles.

Also: Your body is a unity, treat it like one.

So: Compound exercises (complex movements) with free weights.

People are often started on the machines, which I see as an error.

A friend of mine was started like that - machines, machines, machines.

Once we got him onto the bench press with a (very low) free weight, it wobbled like crazy!

Took 3 weeks for him to build the stabilizers.

::zielperson::

Think of it like this: Auto Repair Technicians don't take off the wheels and roll them around to see if they have enough air, or take the engine out of a car and hook it up to a machine to see if it functions... they take the car, diagnose the problem, fix it, and take it for a drive around the neighborhood to see if anything else comes up.

Free weights are your best option in my opinion.

That's a common misunderstanding with medical professionals in regards to weight training.

For the average joe, free weights will be better.

That which doesn't get use atrophies. Machines cause stabilizer muscles to weaken and make your brain "unlearn" how to use the body properly to move muscle. They also force muscles into unnatural ranges of motion, eventually leading to injuries.

Machines are only really appropriate when an injury prevents someone from doing an exercise properly with free weights.

-David Bruehl-

my website

"We seek not to imitate the masters. Rather, we seek what they sought."

Yea, I asked my trainer the same thing, and he basically explained that he only had me doing machine work because I was unsure of motions (I admit weight lifting is on the level of understanding the fairer sex for this nerd), but upon my next redesign wanted to incorporate free weights

Hey rcarper,

My gym just recently offered a promotion where I could get one free training session with the trainer of my choice. Until then I was also a little worried about my ability to do any weight training without hurting myself (I've got a spinal injury). Now that I've had that hour of learning I feel totally confident and able to mix it up enough to satisfy my need for amusement. I went into the session saying I didn't want to do machines, and now I never have to! I think you'll enjoy being set free. :)

Not to defend the doctor but if you read between the lines there are a few things you can take away from his message. Machines are 'safer' because they do the work of the stabilizer muscles, this allows you to work the big muscle without having to worry about technique or anything. For someone who is used to only lifting using machines there will be a major learning curve to be able to do free weights. zielperson had a good example with the bench press. Basically free weights are great because they 'build up' the stabilizer muscles; but that is the thing, make sure you take the time to build them up. Just because you can lift a lot on machines does not mean you have the technique to do so with free weights. People get into trouble and 'beat up' the stabilizer muscles when they dont take the proper time to build up technique and strength. If you are going to start free weights make sure you take the time to learn the proper techniques for all the lifts, a lesson or two would be great for this, just make sure you have an idea what you want to do so the instructor doent just put you on machines.

Basically my advice to you is to make sure you take it slow and don't try to do too much too quickly. Don't be embarrassed because you aren't lifting a lot of weight, take solace in the fact that you are performing the exercise with great form. That is far more important than how much or how many you can do.