Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebel

Hey, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 30, been overweight/obese pretty much my whole life, and done lots of yo-yoing. Apparently the fall is my "new years resolution time", so I decided to get busy and try and lose some weight. After doing more research on the internet and having a friend drag me to a weight watchers meeting, I've decided I don't really want to attempt weight loss again. I want to get healthy, stronger, more active, and just overall improve my life. So, I found myself here at the very beginning of my journey.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

auddii, level 1 Ursal warrior

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Hi audii! Welcome to the rebellion! I'm a 30 y/o recovering yoyoer too :)

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I have the obvious (and completely useless) goal of getting "stronger". Especially my arms, since I'm having problems even doing weany pushups from my knees. So, mini-goal one is to do one full pushup in correct form. I also am intrigued by heavy lifting, but I think I'm going to need to get better at body weight exercises before delving into those types of exercises. I also want to improve my stamina. My friends and I will go walking/jogging through the bike trails, and it's just hard for me to jog for any length of time. I have no desire to be a marathon runner or anything.

Actually, what I love is to hike, and I always associated hiking with vacation (Colorado specifically). However, last year I found a state park about an hour away that felt like real hiking. The bike trails my friends and I walk are down the street. I was visiting them yesterday and found some tiny pedestrian trails off the back that are AWESOME! Feels like real hiking even though it's in the middle of the city. I hiked for about two hours yesterday and did the same hike today (and I didn't get nearly as lost today...).

Other than that, I haven't thought about much specifically. Two main things kicked this off for me this year: 1) While hiking down the mountain my dad turned to me at some point and asked if I would rather be like him or my mother when I was older (he and I were finishing a 6 mile hike, my mom was down reading in a chair and the entire time - not to mention she takes about 20 different medications) and 2) I'm going to Scotland next year and I want my ass to fit in the airplane chair more easily, and I want to not be huffing and puffing when wandering around.

Those are the ultimate goals, and I guess I just haven't put much thought into specifically how to get there, or what I'll be able to do when I do get there. It's one thing that interests me about the 6 week challenges. They'll make me think of very specific goals and what is feasible and what will push me hard enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Yeah, 6 week challenges are great for that! Hiking is great exercise -- I'm a little envious that the weather where you live is still hiking-weather, not gonna lie. In my last 6 week challenge I finally made it to a pushup for the first time in so many years...it felt amazing! Can't wait to watch you make that kind of progress :)

Where in Scotland are you planning to go? It is still one of my favourite places.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I'm a little envious that the weather where you live is still hiking-weather, not gonna lie.

Ha, tell me that when it's 100 degrees and 94% humidity. As it was, it was horribly humid today, and even though not that hot, I was sweating like crazy today. (And I was more wandering since I was taking photos.) Give and take I guess :)

Where in Scotland are you planning to go? It is still one of my favourite places.

I'm actually going on a tour offered by a local band (Albanach) paired with a California band (Brother). It's an eight day tour, and we're basically going all over the lowlands. From the Isle of Mull down to the boarder. It should be a lot of fun (and it's really my first time out of the US, so I'm excited)!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

The Isle of Mull was one of my favourite places -- so wild and untamed. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Oh, and the weather is definately give and take, because I shovelled snow for 3 hours over the last 4 days AND tonight its so cold that I need a sweater under my parka. :)

BTW, the new forums are up! Have you put in your challenge thread yet?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Just put it up this morning. My brain is a little foggy at nights, and I was tired, so I figured it would be safer to wait until this morning. I wouldn't want to wake up to some stupid difficult goals or anything. :)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?20325-AUDDII-And-so-it-begins&p=327485#post327485

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Archived