Forums are back in action! ×

Deadlifted over twice body weight

SuperUnison

Past couple of weeks I've absolutely caned deadlifting, since picking up a copy of starting strength and reading that, my deadlift has rocketed!

Now lifted 130kgs which is over twice my body weight, might not sound like that much but I've only been lifting a few months (I've got pretty long limbs as well so I'm not a natural lifter). I think grip strength is the main limiting factor at the moment, going to research how I can improve that.

Feel pretty badass after a deadlift day, love the rush of chemicals, I feel so focused and energised after, even if my legs feel like jelly!

Another objective I have is trying to motivate my friends to get fit as well- it's rubbing off on my bandmates a bit, my guitarist's gf says she's always catching him doing press ups and saying "Nick keeps telling me to get a pull up bar". My girlfriends taking her gym routine quite seriously too, printing off log sheets and the like! (Still trying to explain the benefits of more strength training to her.) Next step is to sort my dad out, he mentioned that he was recommended to do exercise with higher intensity, so I said I'd send him some links.

Congratulations.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Congrats!! I'm currently aiming for 1.5x my weight, so 2x is a big deal.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

good work, i've recently got some good gains on my deadlift too (stuck at 165kg @ 76kg for aaaaaages to 180kg @ 78.5kg) with this program it's good (and makes you sweat like a sweaty thing), i could of gained more but an old injury in my hip derailed a couple of my workouts (stretching and getting rid of knots is a must) and tho my ohp 1rm didn't really gain much i feel a ton more comfortable doing them

P.S. i'd advise moisturiser for your hands, i didn't and my hands are still healing 3 weeks later (chopping at my callouses didn't help)

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread, just couldn't resist sharing-

Lifted 170kg today.

2.6x bodyweight.

No idea how I've done it, but added 40kg to my deadlift in just over a month. One of the trainers at the gym saw me earlier with the bar loaded, and asked if I was using it. I replied that I'd just lifted it, which he didn't believe! I'd just done 170 which killed me, but gave him a demo of 160! Felt pretty good. :)

I've never attempted dead lifting before. Right now I'm just working on beginning fitness and heavy lifting (pull-ups, bench presses, and a lot of core strengthening!). Deadlifts are on my upcoming exercises list.

Seeing this kind of accomplishment, the before and the after, is like gold inspiration to me. Knowing that other people out there, just normal people, started raw just like I am now and made it to deadlifting 2.6 times their body weight is INCREDIBLE. It really does sound like someone talking about what super power they've developed.

So cheers to you! Keep up the great work; it's great for you, and damn inspiring to the rest of us here as well!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

I've never attempted dead lifting before. Right now I'm just working on beginning fitness and heavy lifting (pull-ups, bench presses, and a lot of core strengthening!). Deadlifts are on my upcoming exercises list.

Seeing this kind of accomplishment, the before and the after, is like gold inspiration to me. Knowing that other people out there, just normal people, started raw just like I am now and made it to deadlifting 2.6 times their body weight is INCREDIBLE. It really does sound like someone talking about what super power they've developed.

So cheers to you! Keep up the great work; it's great for you, and damn inspiring to the rest of us here as well!

wanna know one of the bestest exercises for 'core' strengthening?... DEADLIFT :) also all forms of squats (especially front) and pullups, rows and overhead presses if you keep yourself rigid throughout (if you're struggling with swinging on pullups then tense your glutes and abs)

Thank you very much, it's really nice to be called inspirational! A year ago I'd never deadlifted or squatted before, and always being a skinny guy (friends always used to joke about me not being able to walk over drains due to the risk of slipping through the grating, at risk of being stolen to make a bird's nest after being mistaken for a twig, being invulnerable to side-winds etc) decided to put some effort into bulking up and getting stronger, and read the articles on here about the barbell compounds. It took a lot of work, a few times of deloading to get my form right but once I hit 100kg it's been a pretty steady progression! I set myself a 140kg target for end of this year a couple of months ago, and smashed that!

i hate you... so much

If it's any consolation, my squat and bench press are still pretty mediocre!

Cheers for the tip on hand moisturiser though, my hands are getting dry from the chalk. Do you file any calluses at all?

Archived