Forums are back in action! ×

Hi!

I'm another Gizmodo-recruit. (I also appear to be member number 1337, which is highly entertaining.) My husband linked me to the travel article because we wanted to do more travel (and I am she who organizes outings), and I've been very inspired by everything this site has to offer. It's been a month and I keep coming back, so I figured it was time to sign up.

One of the "in the next few years" bucket goals my husband and I have is to walk some Pilgrimages--the Way of St. James, Via Francigena, the 88 Temples in Japan... and besides the sticking points of getting time off from work, and who will watch our lonely cats (and will they forgive us when we get back?), I also want to make sure I have the stamina to walk for several hours a day for several weeks.

The other issues are being worked out for the long term (except the cats. We haven't told them yet), but I figured I could get going on the stamina issue, well, today.

Like most of you, I'm a giant nerd. By day I do search engine optimization for marketing company in Seattle, by night I'm a freelance writer, and in between I like to read books, and play my favorite MMO, City of Heroes. So, basically, I spend all my waking hours on my butt, usually in front of a glowing screen. I'm blessed with a decent metabolism and generally good eating habits from when I lost my Freshman 15 (read: 30) a few years back, but one can definitely tell I sit on my butt most of the time now >_>;

I'll detail my goals for walking in my "workout log" post, but the short version is that my aim is to get used to long-distance walking. I don't think speed will be the key here, but the ability to keep one foot in front of the other for hours at a time and still be able to do it again the next day.

Ahem. I'm long winded. Hello, everyone!

-Ann

Twitter: @shadawynspins

Mixed Media @ http://shadawyn.wordpress.com/

I am absolutely 100% jealous of your 1337 status. I wish we had a prize to give you.

Hiya!! As a fellow long-walker, I'm delighted to see there's someone else around here who can appreciate it! Your Pilgrimages idea is amazing! What a wonderful vacation. Exercise, sunlight, foreign country-sides and a meaningful journey. Love it!

Maybe if you bring your cats back a tshirt, they'll take it better...?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Steve: CoX is a great game with a fantastic community, although despite recent graphic enhancements, it's starting to show its age compared to the shiny new games out there. Still, I remain loyal because I love the game and the community. I've checked out Champions, but I'm a one-MMO girl, so I won't stray until I'm ready for something new.

Aletha: Thanks! I'm definitely a walker. I might try jogging later on, but I really enjoy going for long walks (beaches, optional).

-Ann

Steve: CoX is a great game with a fantastic community, although despite recent graphic enhancements, it's starting to show its age compared to the shiny new games out there. Still, I remain loyal because I love the game and the community. I've checked out Champions, but I'm a one-MMO girl, so I won't stray until I'm ready for something new.

It is indeed a great MMO! I LIVED on Infinity server (and a little on Freedom) for 3 years straight until I finally managed to burn myself out. No other game grabbed me as much as that one did. Right now, I'm waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic coming out around May/June (hopefully)

It is indeed a great MMO! I LIVED on Infinity server (and a little on Freedom) for 3 years straight until I finally managed to burn myself out. No other game grabbed me as much as that one did. Right now, I'm waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic coming out around May/June (hopefully)

I'm currently in a burn-out phase myself and only log on once every couple of weeks when my VG-mates ask, but I'll probably start playing a bit more often in a few months when I have more time and begin to miss it (right now I'm just too busy with other things). I re-upped my yearly subscription in early January, so I can't let it go to waste... >_>;

(I play on Virtue. Yes, I'm an RPer. No shame!)

-Ann