Forums are back in action! ×

Never had a six pack..... That wasint beer

Mikey

Decided to get back in shape here recantly. Used to be in pretty good shape during wrestling but since I graduated, and my senior year I had a few injurys (and new coach was not very good at conditioning). But now I am in the worst shape I have been in, in years. Doing it different this time though. Instead of four monthes outta the year to be in good shape, I'm making it my lifestyle now. No more just because it is wrestling season. But one thing I could never quit acheive was a six pack. Don't really know how to get there. So I'm reaching out for some help. Thanks for any help/advise you can give me.

Thompson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Will Defend The Light From The Darkness

It's (technically) simple. Maintain a caloric deficit, most likely through your diet (which specific diet doesn't matter, but make sure you're getting proper nutrients). Depending on how large the deficit is, you will eventually lose enough body fat to show your abs. Combine that with adequate protein and a strength training routine, and you'll be Mikey Sixpack in no time.*

*Disclaimer: It will take more than no time, but it will work.

Hey Mikey! There are a lot of us here who just joined and are in the same boat. For me, I've got an almost identical story; used to be in much better shape, but seven years at a desk job and a love of good beer and wine has given me the "cuddly" version of the six-pack. It's great to see so many new people joining right up at the same time. There are dozens of amazing articles and far more positive people on the forums here; keep at it, and I wish you the best of success!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Hey Mikey! There are a lot of us here who just joined and are in the same boat. For me, I've got an almost identical story; used to be in much better shape, but seven years at a desk job and a love of good beer and wine has given me the "cuddly" version of the six-pack. It's great to see so many new people joining right up at the same time. There are dozens of amazing articles and far more positive people on the forums here; keep at it, and I wish you the best of success!

I agree. I like this place. I like the vibe here man. And I hope you get back into it and see the results your after as well. Best of luck to you my friend

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Will Defend The Light From The Darkness

Deadlifts and Squats require your abs and back to do a lot of work to stabilize your spine, so they are good. Planks, reverse crunches, and hanging leg raises are also good and should improve the look of your abs once your body fat % is low enough for them to be visible. Technically they'll be visible at a certain point regardless of how muscular they are, but having a strong trunk is just good all around regardless of aesthetics.

Thanks for the input folks. I know I need to shed some insulation but I was also rather curious as to some of the best exercises I can do to ummmm, cultivate a sixpack?

Like others are saying, it's mostly a matter of body fat. I've got fairly strong abs (200 squats are no trouble) but there's no way anyone can see them for all the "insulation."

Crunches, planks, bicycles, etc. are all good to get the six-pack defined but the body fat needs to drop for them to show.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but low body fat is what will show off those abs.

I don't know why a six-pack is a fitness goal. They are always there, you just need to remove the protective coating that's hiding them.

The goal is achieve the low BF% required to show off the six pack (my case).

I've never had the six pack, but I'm working on to get them, doing mostly of what they said, good diet and exercises.

cassiocardoso Hobbit Adventurer Level 1 

STR: 4 | DEX: 1.5 |STA: 3.5 | CON: 4 | WIS: 5.5 | CHA: 3

Twitter | Facebook | Fitocracy | Nike+ RunningChallenges: #1 | (Current) #2 

"I'm pissed off... for GREATNESS!"|

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but low body fat is what will show off those abs.

I don't know why a six-pack is a fitness goal. They are always there, you just need to remove the protective coating that's hiding them.

The goal is achieve the low BF% required to show off the six pack (my case).

I've never had the six pack, but I'm working on to get them, doing mostly of what they said, good diet and exercises.

What cardoso said. My goal for a six pack is just giving me a nice visual way of dropping my bodyfat. I know I'll be at the amount of body fat I want when I can see a six pack.

This too, shall pass.

Hey there!

I have been in the same boat as you have. I never really made it to the full on washboard abs but I do feel that I have been close. It as much about dieting as it is about hard work. I can still feel the muscles under there even now but I know that my biggest hurdle is to make it presentable.

I used to do around 100 situps everyday and I would throw in pull up variations that also worked the abs a bit more.

Just keep working hard and eating smart and you will get there. Also disregard all the photos you see in magazines and such of guys with the perfect 12 pack. Seriously the hell with those guys.

Half Dwarf/ Half Human. All Deadly

STR-3, DEX-2, STA-2, CON-1, WIS-3, CHA-4

Why?

Everyone can do that. Though few are willing to put forth the effort required to get there.

Many fitness models use less than ethical techniques to get to the point you see in magazines, ie, steroids, diurhetics, etc. Plus you have photoshop, airbrushing and the like.

Factoring all of that in I still think you are totallly correct Waldo. Not everyone that has amazing abs did any of that. I think people get caught up in bs excuses. I mean the truth of the matter is if someone can craft a good six pack without being a professional fitness model (and they have), there is no reason anyone can't do it.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Many fitness models use less than ethical techniques to get to the point you see in magazines, ie, steroids, diurhetics, etc. Plus you have photoshop, airbrushing and the like.

Factoring all of that in I still think you are totallly correct Waldo. Not everyone that has amazing abs did any of that. I think people get caught up in bs excuses. I mean the truth of the matter is if someone can craft a good six pack without being a professional fitness model (and they have), there is no reason anyone can't do it.

Will it require the patience to diet through a fairly long period of relatively small losses? Yes.

Will it require the eating precision to be in the tight band of losing just a little so that you lose mostly fat and are actually losing? Yes.

Will it require an increase in muscle mass over what you naturally carry in order to have something to show off (meaning long periods of bulking and cutting)? Likely.

It is very doable, but most, even thin in clothes individuals, aren't looking at a 4 week process here. It could take a couple years. But everyone can do it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

To summarize what's already been said:

- 6 pack will come from diet and losing fat, not from crunches

- that being said, there are some core exercises that you may want to consider that 'target' abs but really serve a much more important and vital function

- It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and unpleasant dieting to get down to six-pack levels. Getting to a healthy body fat level = largely painless. Getting to six pack, which is probably below the level optimal for hormone balances within your body = quite a bit more unpleasant

- that being said, many people DONT have six packs cuz the end result isn't really as glamorous as you think. Think about what your ACTUAL advantages are in having a six pack versus enjoying your life; most people come to the conclusion that it's really not worth the effort

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I keep my six-pack well insulated.

This is my official policy, too. LOL Unofficially, I need to clear out the insulation! :)

--

Josh Ray

RealMeanRealDads.com

"Fearless. Intelligent. Devoted to Family."

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death." -- Nas

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Josh Ray, level 1 Human druid

STR 1|DEX 0|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 6|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

Archived