Forums are back in action! ×

Getting my Paleo numbers right

Hey all,

I started trying to do Paleo about a week ago, and I thought I'd check with the local experts to see if I have myself dialed up well.

First up, I'm a 30/m, 5'9, 235, with a 38 in. waist. Other measurements may be hard to get, but I'll do my best if need be. I went through a calculator and it said my % of body fat was %25. Obviously too high for my liking. Currently my numbers are running like this.

Calories: 1800 - 2200: This honestly feels right as I feel full most of the time.

Carbs: 50-80 g: Cause I want my number to go down.

Fat: 123-146 g: I think this number is off due to it was my remainder when I calculated through excel

Protein: 123-141g: Most days I'm about 40 to 50 grams higher.

So guys, I need your help just to make sure I'm in the ballpark.

An important question is your activity level. Obviously, you want to make sure you get enough energy to support your activities, especially if you'll have lots of wear-and-tear on your muscles.

A man with your stats in a desk job with very little strenuous activity would burn 2500 calories a day. To lose weight, you'll want exactly what you estimated, 1800 - 2200 calories. If you are working out, you'll want to increase that so you maintain approximately a 500 calorie deficit a day. Best is tracking your activity level week by week, and adjusting accordingly (www.dailyburn.com has activity caloric estimates, but I think they're slightly generous).

In the mean time, lets call it 1800 - 2200, and you can have an extra serving of (healthy!) dinner every day you work out (that actually isn't a terrible way to do things, assuming your dinner is around 500-700 calories or so. You'd burn 600 calories if you ran for an hour, 400 if you lifted weights for an hour).

Calories: 1800 - 2200cal

Carbs: 50-80 g (200 - 320 cal): Bang on.

Fat: 105 - 140 g (944 - 1344 cal): being the remainder of your daily calories minus carbs and proteins, divided by 9 to get the grams.

Protein: 164 - 235g (656 - 940 cal). This is 0.7 - 1x your weight in pounds. If you're thrashing your muscles, you'll want 1g, if not you'll be fine with 0.7ish.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Alethea, you my friend are truly awesome. Yea I try to work out 5x a week, but I'm actually feeling that 1800-2200 actually fuels me well, even on workout days. Maybe that means I'm not pushing hard enough. Of course that's a question for another thread (I feel I start so many threads I'm going to be making a quilt soon, but darn it I have questions :D)

Arright, heres a confession. I have a bad habit of undereating. Even when I'd do 3 hours of activity, I'd still eat like I didn't do any. So I'm being a terrible hypocrite here, but try eating the correct amount for a few weeks. Your body might welcome the extra nutrients and calories, and you'd have more energy / recover faster. When I ate the right amount, I actually dropped weight very quickly, when otherwise I have difficulty making that scale go down.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

I'm not sure what amuses me more, the fact they include brushing your teeth, or that they seperate sex into sex - foreplay and sex - intercourse. I get tracking calories consumed vs calories burned, but dude!

- Seneca, 63 AD

I'm not sure what amuses me more, the fact they include brushing your teeth, or that they seperate sex into sex - foreplay and sex - intercourse. I get tracking calories consumed vs calories burned, but dude!

well they're OBVIOUSLY very different!

I would expect it to be more like how they separated weightlifting:

Weight lifting - general

Weight lifting - vigorous

:)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Rcarper, I suppose you could if you wanted to, but I'd expect a stopwatch would take the fun out of things.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Hey, we don't judge! If you're obsessive enough to track how many calories brushing your teeth burns, then why stop at half measures! After all, as the great Steve Kamb said, We Welcome the Challenge. :P

- Seneca, 63 AD