Forums are back in action! ×

An Explanation of 'Man-Makers'

So I posted these as part of my goals for the next 28 day challenge.

A break down of Man-Makers

In short, they are soul sucking type of burpee that quite possibly promotes misanthropy.

1) Grab 2 dumbbell weights that are easy for you to curl/move around. (I can do multiple sets/reps with 30 pds, and I use 15 pds on this exercise)

2)Holding the dumbbells in your hands, start from a standing position

3)Drop down into a squat with your hands holding your dumbbells on the ground in a push up (or press up) position

4)In one motion, kick your legs out from a squat to a plank position (so the top form of a pull up or press up)

5)Do a push up (press up)

6)Still in plank position, keeping one dumbbell gripped on the ground, do an inverted row with the other one

(eg left hand holding dumbbell on the ground, pull right one up like an inverted row, keeping legs and body in plank position)

7)Do other side

8)From plank position, in one movement, pop your legs back into the squat

8b) Take time to hate everything

9)Explode upward, at the same time raising both weights above your head and getting your feet off the ground, almost like you're excited to be doing this

10) for extra fun, bring your knees up during the jump till you are almost sitting in an invisible chair.

My one of my goals is to do 20 of these (broken in to 2 sets of 10) 3 times a week at the tail end of my work out when I will be the saddest.

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

WHOA. Now I have to go buy a second teeny tiny dumbbell so I can try these. No way could I do this with more than five pounds, but no way am I not going to at least try with five pounds. Yay for new ways to hurt myself!

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

Hey! We do a variation of those with kettlebells! Except it's:

1) Start in the standing position with the KB infront of your feet where it won't interfere with the plank position

2) Drop into the pushup with strict plank form

3) Push up, left knee to elbow, right knee to elbow

4) Bring feet forward to continue burpee, grap the kb handle on the way up

5) Clean kettlebell and rack

6) Thruster (ass to grass squat into an overhead press)

7) Re-rack the kb

8) Ground the KB on route to another squat

9) If you're sadistic you can add the knee tuck to the burpee here on the way back up

10) Return to starting position, leaving the kb on the ground

... that's one. Don't try going into this complex cold. We usually turn it into an entire workout session with 30 sec to 1min breaks adding the extra movements one at a time in sets with repetitions of 10 until we're at the end of the line and doing 20 to finish off. =)

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

another variation with weights:

1. standing

2. plank

3. rows

4. T Pushup (works obliques and transverse stabilizer muscles in core)

5. continuing on with the burpie madness

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

YES! Even better! Is there video of this that exists anywhere? I'd prefer to do this with my KB than with my DBs.

Also, do you only need one or a pair for this?

We only use one KB - you alternate sides. That way you're working contrilaterally as well. There isn't a video that I know of, we do these in class, but I'm sure I can get Laz3rshark to help me film one and we can you tube it. I'll see what we've got planned for this weekend's date night. =)

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .