Forums are back in action! ×

World of Warcraft nerds, anyone?

Mgn

Here's a question for everyone: how does one get into heals? I've always stuck with DPS - honestly, because it's safe - but more and more, I'd like to venture into healing. I know I can't avoid total n00bness, but I was wondering if any of you have tips for getting into heals after nearly a decade of DPS.

• Like 1

"Stay strong until you win against yourself. At the end of the day, you will always be the winner." - Rika Usami

Deadlift Goal: 300 lb (136.078 kg)

71.7%
71.7%

Bodyweight: [start: 185 lb] [Current: 161 lb] [Goal: 135 lb]

44%
44%

Here's a question for everyone: how does one get into heals? I've always stuck with DPS - honestly, because it's safe - but more and more, I'd like to venture into healing. I know I can't avoid total n00bness, but I was wondering if any of you have tips for getting into heals after nearly a decade of DPS.

Two things: 1) google healing guides for whichever class you pick.  They're invaluable to learning how to play a class, and 2) just do it.  No matter how much you read about it, jumping in and doing it is often the best teacher. 

This is pretty much how I learned to tank, and got myself into a hardcore raiding guild even though my gear was significantly below par for the content they were running.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Two things: 1) google healing guides for whichever class you pick.  They're invaluable to learning how to play a class, and 2) just do it.  No matter how much you read about it, jumping in and doing it is often the best teacher. 

Awesome, I'll scour some pages today. As for point #2, yeah, I know I really can't gauge how it'll go 'til I jump in. It's a performance anxiety issue. Who knew a game could be as stressful as real life  :nightmare:

• Like 1

"Stay strong until you win against yourself. At the end of the day, you will always be the winner." - Rika Usami

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

Yup, Oramac is pretty much spot on with this.  I used to be a hardcore BM hunter when raiting in Burnign Crusades but for Lich King switched to resto Shaman and became one of the two primary healers for our guild for heroic 10 man raids. A resto shammy/holy priest combo was AMAZING for heroic 10 man content. Best way to get feet wet is just level up a healer class and dual talent spec.  Have one for soloing and then your healign spec for doing random dungeons.  By the time you get to 100 you'll be pretty confident in your healing skills.  If already at 100, just do lots of regular random dungeons or if you know a darn good tank, have them go with you on 5 mans.

• Like 1
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

After spending years as a healer, I felt the same about DPS'ing!

See if you can get guild groups or run with people who will be patient with you. My least favorite thing about current WoW is that a lot of people are like, "if you can't facesmash, then I'm out and you sucks" which is really frustrating when you learn. 

Or just heal raids - LFR is like super easy and will build your confidence. No one cares about overhealing any more so as long as you have the mana pool to last, you'll be fine.

After spending years as a healer, I felt the same about DPS'ing!

See if you can get guild groups or run with people who will be patient with you. My least favorite thing about current WoW is that a lot of people are like, "if you can't facesmash, then I'm out and you sucks" which is really frustrating when you learn. 

Or just heal raids - LFR is like super easy and will build your confidence. No one cares about overhealing any more so as long as you have the mana pool to last, you'll be fine.

Precisely why I'm like "eh, I'll stick with what I know I'm good at," but it just gets boring at that point. As for LFR, that actually sounds like a good strategy. If nothing else, I've got a select few friends that might be up for a few runs; it's good to know at least one tank that isn't a raging jerk. 

• Like 1

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

Precisely why I'm like "eh, I'll stick with what I know I'm good at," but it just gets boring at that point. As for LFR, that actually sounds like a good strategy. If nothing else, I've got a select few friends that might be up for a few runs; it's good to know at least one tank that isn't a raging jerk. 

If you want another person who can tank, I'm up for it.  I'll let you decide if I'm a raging jerk.  lol.  But I like to think I'm not.  :D   I mostly pvp now, but I still keep a tanking set handy, just in case.  Battletag is Oramac#1305

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

If you want another person who can tank, I'm up for it.  I'll let you decide if I'm a raging jerk.  lol.  But I like to think I'm not.   :D   I mostly pvp now, but I still keep a tanking set handy, just in case.  Battletag is Oramac#1305

Lol, I shouldn't have made such a sweeping generalization about tanks, you're not all bad! I run into some pretty awful DPS...I mean awwwwwful. I'm almost ashamed of playing my hunters because they're so generally loathed for being trigger/bow/unecessary pet aggro-happy. I'll add you and keep you posted on my healer!

• Like 1

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

Lol, I shouldn't have made such a sweeping generalization about tanks, you're not all bad! I run into some pretty awful DPS...I mean awwwwwful. I'm almost ashamed of playing my hunters because they're so generally loathed for being trigger/bow/unecessary pet aggro-happy. I'll add you and keep you posted on my healer!

Don't worry!  With 10 million players, there's bound to be bad ones in every role.  I've seen plenty of bad tanks myself.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Just recently I started learning hw to heal on my 78 Resto Druid by buying a bunch of +int gear from the AH and doing a trial under fire in the Dungeon Finder.  It was ugly but successful.

So it's never too late to learn!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I love resto druid healing, it's probably my favorite! I actually love leveling a healer through dungeons... I tried to level a Pally tank that way but it just frustrated the hell out of me, stupid DPS pulling things and AOEing before I had full aggro. Sigh. COME ON PEOPLE

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I actually have an old Night Elf alt that's a Druid. Probably build her up and see how it goes.

• Like 1

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

What I'm taking away from all of the Warcraft enthusiasm here is that we need to run a Nerd Fitness heroic or BG sometime.

I'll organize.  Who's in?

• Like 2

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

What I'm taking away from all of the Warcraft enthusiasm here is that we need to run a Nerd Fitness heroic or BG sometime.

I'll organize. Who's in?

Agreed. I'm in. I'll even drag my husband into it.

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

I should have added:

I'm available all week.  100 Horde Hunter is all I have to work with for now, but I'll work on an Alliance over the next few days too.

I'll organize.  Who's in?

I'm down!  100 Belf DK horde side, and a 100 hunter and pally Alli side.  I might have a 100 rogue horde side by then.  Depends if I decide to keep leveling him.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This was VERY true in Burning Crusades when everyone was running a BM hunter.  All you had to do was faceroll steadyshot and keep your pet alive, yet so, so many failed at this. 

• Like 1
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

What timezone is everyone in?  I'm EST and my playtimes are pretty sporadic lately due to classes/events/traveling, and my only 100 right now is a NE resto druid, so if we could maybe plan a general day or time to try to be around...? :D  (I also play with my boyfriend who is a 100 NE rogue, and he'd be totally willing to help out too!)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

What timezone is everyone in?  I'm EST and my playtimes are pretty sporadic lately due to classes/events/traveling, and my only 100 right now is a NE resto druid, so if we could maybe plan a general day or time to try to be around...? :D  (I also play with my boyfriend who is a 100 NE rogue, and he'd be totally willing to help out too!)

I'm on Central Time.  Most nights except Thursdays would work for me.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm on Central Time. Most nights except Thursdays would work for me.

I'm central as well.

• Like 1

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%