Forums are back in action! ×

Why is this introdction thing so darn hard?

Waking up in a post-engorgement stupor after falling into a food coma yesterday it hit me; if I follow the path I am currently on, I will succumb to my genetics and be perfectly spherical with the associated health problems. It is something against which I have railed for my entire life but I cannot seem to make headway, I usually fall off the wagon around week five. I believe that there are two reasons for this: one, a lack of modeling and therefore a lack of demonstrated intrinsic motivation and two, a lack of community. I have never been at home in a gym and everyone who I enjoy playing with either is way above my ability level or has no interest in joining me.

The excuses above are my way of saying, that this seems like the place for me to find motivation, encouragement, and a good swift kick in the behind when it is needed. So, here goes nothing. I look forward to discussing my experience, finding individuals to challenge me, and not being ridiculed for the occasional Monty Python references and use of Seussian rhyme.

Let's see, my goals...

1) To stick with a semi-structured routine for activities, eg. to walk 10,000 steps every day and to do the beginner body weight workout three times a week (as scaffolded as needed, this could be funny to watch me do)

2) To begin to transform my eating habits by a. only eating meals I cook at home, b. beginning to eliminate grains and sugars (phased out by New Year's Day?)

3) Find some fun engaging activity that can satisfy my urge to run around on the playground but with other adults (I get to with my students... but it's just not the same!). I find that I am most inclined to participate in athletics when it is a game, hence my excitiment at finding this community.

I have been thinking about my long term goals and I don't know yet what I want them to be but I know that I need at least one, a realistic one, to light that fire so I will continue to ponder it. That said, I'm open to suggestions...

With that, I am going to go for a walk on the blustery day... I can't let myself procrastinate or I will NEVER take that first step. Thanks for reading my brain dump... who knew that I would enjoy the catharsis offered by writing an introductory statement?

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

amcphail, Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Welcome to the rebellion! I'm a newcomer here as well, but as soon as I realized NerdFitness combined online community, health tracking, and nerdiness, I knew I was ALL IN. Or, as another rebel put it:

"Glad you found us, this is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field."

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Welcome amcphail! I've only been part of the forum for a week and yes - introducing yourself has some mystical motivation technique. Good luck on your journey!

moknitroTroll adventurer

Level: 1STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

New Challenger Appears: Moknitro's Adventure (Jan 7 - Feb 18 2013 Challenge)http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22175-new-challenger-appears-moknitros-adventure/

Archived