Forums are back in action! ×

Lurker coming out from the shadows!

I guess it is about time I actually join into the NF Rebellion community seeing as I have be lurking the blog and forums for quite some time. So how is the person emerging from the lurker shadows?

Well, I am Emily. I live in Ottawa, Canada and am a 21 year old student studying an economics/development hybrid course. My reason for joining this rebellion is the challenges and RPG-like system are a fun (nerdy) way to track my fitness goals. I am in generally good shape but the way my life is heading (an office job and lots of time spent working my way to the top) I have been noticing my fitness levels dropping from their usual levels and I KNOW I can do better.

I have access to a gym for free as part of my tuition and have lots of running trails and parks to use. I prefer to use my own body rather than machines (which is one reason I like NF so much as it promotes using your own body). I want to increase my endurance and strength to their former glory (hahaha, not). I am thinking of doing either assassin or ranger for challenges as either suits me fairly well (and are my usual gaming classes).

In terms of food and lifestyle I tend to do alright. I make all my own food with the exception of the odd night out but when I go for my internships I tend to eat out for lunch a lot more and I want to get away from that. I do need to increase my vegetable/fruit consumption though it is hard since I cook for two and he HATES vegetables. The major issue with food I have is SUGAR!!! I love dessert and candy and sweet stuff. I am currently cutting back on my candy issue and also cutting back on pop (which I used to never drink until I started living with my partner who has a two can a day habit).

Um, I cannot think of anything else to write and I am already staying up way too late tonight (I didn't want to procrastinate starting on NF) and have to get up early so...

Any questions, comments, did I miss any MAJOR info? Let me know! And I will talk to the rest of the rebellion soon :star:

**Returns to the shadows and retreats to home...

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%

CANADIAN! Welcome, fellow Canuck! Glad to have you as part of the rebellion! Any guild that you're comfortable in is the place for you -- mostly they're about helping people who are doing similar kinds of exercise connect. So nice to see you come out of the shadows and chat with us a bit. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Welcome to the Rebellion. Check out the Diet/Nutrition boards for ideas on making vegetables awesome, some people don't like vegetables because they've never had them prepared a way they like, another option is to make a main meal for the both of you and make some veggies for yourself. You can still get in on the challenge, there's no restriction on when you get in.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

CANADIAN! Welcome, fellow Canuck! Glad to have you as part of the rebellion!
Thanks for the warm welcome (especially with the cold weather lol). Are there not many Canadians in the rebellion?

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%
Welcome to the Rebellion. Check out the Diet/Nutrition boards for ideas on making vegetables awesome, some people don't like vegetables because they've never had them prepared a way they like, another option is to make a main meal for the both of you and make some veggies for yourself. You can still get in on the challenge, there's no restriction on when you get in.
I've slowly been switching to the main meal for both with veggies for me but it would be nice to find some recipes with vegetables he actually enjoys seeing as he SHOULD be eating them. And thanks for the welcome!

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%

Yes, he should, but don't let his habits affect your fitness, you can only control you. As long as you keep it in your mind you are looking for veggies he enjoys instead of trying to get him to be healthier it should be all right.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Have you tried roasting veggies in the oven? Toss them with olive oil, salt, & pepper, put them on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 400. The time will vary per veggie. Roasting caramelizes the sugars and transforms boring vegetables into veggie candy! My favorite is cauliflower (25 minutes).

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Have you tried roasting veggies in the oven? Toss them with olive oil, salt, & pepper, put them on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 400. The time will vary per veggie. Roasting caramelizes the sugars and transforms boring vegetables into veggie candy! My favorite is cauliflower (25 minutes).

Roasting veggies is actually my favorite way to have them! I usually do my potatoes and root veggies this way (1hr). Takes a while but it gives me time to make the rest of the meal without worrying about the vegetables.

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%
Welcome Emily! There's many ways to smuggle vegies into a meal undetected (like grating them into a bolognaise sauce, or into meat patties), but for recalictrant grown ups, it's best they just woman/man up, and eat them anyway, even if they don't like them very much.

He is slowly realizing he has to have them to be healthy, something his future career will require of him, which is good. And I never though of grating veggies into meat patties. Any particular kinds? I'm thinking grated carrot or zucchini would go well with beef??

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%
Some people like to hide vegie purees, like cooked cauliflower, in just about anything (including stuff like brownies), but I'm not a fan of disguising them *that* much.

Curries are another good vegie hiding option, because you don't taste the vegies very much, so pumpkin and beans etc pass without much comment, even if they'd be neglected if on a plate on their own. Back some years ago when training my husband to eat more vegies, I had great success with just presenting him with a plate of curry and rice, and telling him *afterwards* what vegies were in it (which usually included some he "didn't like", but didn't even notice when in a curry).

Yea, I am not a fan of hiding them that much either. Maybe the odd chocolate zucchini loaf but as you mentioned, zucchini has almost no flavour.

He loves curry, maybe I will go out and get some curry spices and make them that way. If it is spicy he won't care what he is eating lol. I will just have to have a huge glass of milk for me since spice is always too hot for me.

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%

Writing this down so I can be held to it:

I will be starting a Battle Log AND starting my first challenge on January 1st. This means I will have to take into account my upcoming internships work hours though I will still have free access to the gym through school. I am going to think about goals and setting up of the threads for now. :)

Level 1

0%
0%

13%
13%

3%
3%

3%
3%