Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, I'm Natasha aka Hennagrrrrl... my typo is now the default spelling of my nickname... so it goes.

I'm in my late 40s and at my heaviest ever. I had the moment of truth when we returned home from Christmas and I got on the scale. To be fair, I did have both hips replaced last year and I am recovering from torrid affairs with Cherry Garcia (before the surgeries), homemade lemon meringue pies (they're so easy) after the surgeries and then lots and lots of Christmas pastries (the more anxious I got, the more I ate).

So now I am downsizing my portions to normal sizes, not allowing myself seconds, and adding strength training. I worked up to 45 minutes a day of fast walking, but that didn't prevent me from gaining weight. I'm also limiting processed foods (things with sugar, white flour, fast foods, frozen entrees, etc.) and on inspiration from Tim Ferriss's 4 Hour Body, I'm replacing rice and pasta with lentils and beans. I'm not doing the Saturday binge, however, since I tend to get in trouble with binges. Just trying to get more healthy in my choices and portion sizes when it comes to food.

I have always been a creative nerd, preferring to read books, draw pictures or practice music to being popular, hanging at the mall or going to football games. I was my high school's parliamentarian -- just doesn't get much more nerdy than that.

I found the nerd of my dreams when we were both taking a tai chi class in Baltimore. He's an astronomer and we've spent the past 17 years following his academic jobs (spent 3 years in Staffs, UK, then moved to Texas and now live in SoCal) and vacationing around conferences....that astrobio conference in Queensland, Oz was one of the best!

I have been an admin ninja for most of my working life, but am now transforming myself into a freelance henna artist (have been practicing since 1998) and writer (have only been writing for pay since January).

I love walking and yoga, am am now channelling my inner Arnold to get myself pumped up (with dvds and free-weights).

Great to be here! This is such an inspiring place!

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I see I should have been more specific" Lily Tomlin

That's awesome Natasha, hopefully you've already seen some success since making changes after Christmas - just one day at a time, one pound at a time, one change at a time.

Love to hear about all of the unconventional changes your life recently - I'm all for it!

Welcome to the Rebellion, we're glad to have you!

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Hiya, and welcome!! I love henna, though only had it done personally a few times. Lets see some pictures!!

I'm a big fan of walking and yoga. Add some strength to that and its a great well-rounded routine. Good luck to you in continuing your newyears changes, and glad to have you!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Love your henna design, they're beautiful.

I'm also a big fan of yoga, not so much the walking though. I tend to get bored walking and start running, especially up hills, hills are made for running up in book.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen