Forums are back in action! ×

Help Me Build My Media Center

Josh_C

Ok fellow nerds, here is my situation. I'm in the process of moving. In hopes of downsizing, I'm ripping most of my movies to my computer(s). Here is the hardware I have:

One 61 inch LCD tv with HDMI in

One Dell computer with 4gb RAM and HDMI out (i forget the exact specs, about 2 years old)

Xbox 360

PS3

iMac (my main computer)

Right now I have the Dell hooked up to the TV. I rip everything using Handbrake on the Mac, then drag it over to the Dell via my network. I then stream it to the Xbox. The xbox is convenient because of the remote. But streaming direct from the Mac has been annoying. Plus I'd like to use the Dell's ~400gb storage instead of taking up space on the Mac. I've tried playing around with XBMC and I'm willing to give it another try.

Any thoughts/input on any of this?

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Yeah with that setup I think that ingesting the movies the way you currently are and storing them on the Dell running Windows Media Center using the XBox as a front-end is a good option. I've not yet done it, though most of that is on my to-do list. I've also heard good things about the Ceton cards, they are some of the only cards that will allow you to record multiple streams of encrypted cable content in the US where you seem to reside. Though it's worth noting they do not work for Canadian or other non-US cable to my knowledge.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Archived