Forums are back in action! ×

Determined and fueled by anger!

I’m a 23 year old German college student (geology) who has lately been a bit overweight. I’m 1.87m (~6’1â€) tall and currently weigh 90kg (~198lb.). I’m organized and would consider myself not totally stupid. I used to do a lot of sports in school (decathlon, biking, soccer, tennis, football, and boxing) but about six years ago I had an accident with a snowmobile that injured my right knee and hand pretty bad. After that I never really got back to my former strength and athletic abilities. I love video games, board and tabletop games as well as D&D 4.0. Pretty much a typical nerd, who was always into sports, science and games.

About one month ago I got dumped by my girlfriend after seven years of relationship and it god damn hurt so bad! The pain seems to retreat extremely slowly but the void that is left doesn’t seem to be entirely empty. It is filling up with red hot burning, angry determination… I do still care for her a lot and I know that I might never get her back. If that is the case I want her to see, if we ever meet again, how I turned my life around and became super f***ing strong and successful!

It is probably not the smartest reason looking at it from a distance but for me it seems like the only way. What I need to do is to get off my lazy butt and get out there. I need to distract myself from every thought that could even slightly be related to her and would let me spiral back to the crying lump of s**t I was just a couple of weeks ago.

I’m back at the gym, running (three to four times a week for about an hour). On the off days I’m doing some bodyweight exercises at home. This is all just to reacquaint myself with the matter of real physical activity. I will join in on the January challenge (slowly starting with weights again) and am setting my specific goals over the next week. I bought Starting Strength and am currently reading it. I also started eating Paleo for two weeks now and I don’t really miss anything, since meat was always my favorite ingredient in the meals I had. I do eat veggies but cut back on fruit and especially salt. No more grains what so ever! I can’t cut soda or juices since I already just drink water.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated and after reading a lot (and I mean a LOT) of Nerd Fitness (articles and forums) I just want to be part of this amazing group of people.

I want to be a part of the rebellion!

Aldric (Alter ego and name of D&D character)

[i’m so sorry if you didn’t understand a word of what I was writing about but English is not my native language so please excuse my mistakes. Hm… But if you couldn’t read the above you might also not understand this down here. So me writing anymore is kinda pointless…]

"If you don't want me to pick it up, you better bolt it to the floor" - Marshall White

Good luck to you, and I hope you reach your goals.

I'd suggest hitting the gym to lift rather than run on the treadmill, and go for a run outside on your off days instead. Beyond that, whatever your reasons for it, if it drives you more power to you. Just make sure you don't lose the motivation when that underlying reason for it fades.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Welcome to the rebellion, your English is fine. If you hadn't said you were German I would never have suspected you're not a native speaker. Anger can be a powerful motivation and a good place to start. A word of advice though, find something to keep you going once the anger goes away. All emotions are fleeting, and while some seem to hang around forever, they still don't last. I'm not saying don't be angry, just suggesting you plan for when the anger isn't as strong, just like rtalencar said. I look forward to seeing your goals.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I feel for you dude, Pretty much same motivation on my end. Except I want to her to see what she will never have again.

It's the dark side of the force, there is no denying that. Anger, Hate, Rage, I had never really experienced a real event that lead to these emotions before, but like you, now they fill me.

Feel their power coursing through you! SHOOT LIGHTING OUT OF YOUR FINGERS!

The Darkside may not be sustainable, but it can make you the most powerful Jedi of all time.

Currently lost in Fitness.

#$% tear it up man. Heartache sucks, been there a few times, and is one of the reasons I first started working out as well. It really does help with the pain but in the end it just takes over and becomes such a part of you.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

@rtalencar: Thank you, I hope so too and believe I can! I will do exactly that once one can actually go outside again without losing a leg to frostbite. I started working on my form for squads yesterday and that is what I will be doing until January (Not just squads of course but working on technique). I hope I have it all down by then to really get somewhere with that challenge.

@tanktimus: Thank you also very much. Have not finally decided on my goals but I will make sure they are SMART.

@rtalencar/@tanktimus: I thought about that and I figured that if I manage to harvest enough determination from all this until I can see some awesome results I would be motivated to keep going. After all being healthy, strong and looking better would be quite something.

@Suited hippy: It sure is the dark side and it is very strong, it will lead me where I want to go and I will not stop until I get there. I might just take baby steps and there are bound to be a lot of stones in my way but eventually I will get there!

@sumdawgtwigg: I believe exactly that will happen!

"If you don't want me to pick it up, you better bolt it to the floor" - Marshall White

Archived