Forums are back in action! ×

Daily Morning m100s ...overkill?

VanToai

Hey guys - first post here :) I've learned so much from this community and the blog over the last 3 months, and have changed my eating and exercise habits to lose 15 lbs in that time, going from 180 (5'6") to 165, with another 15 lbs to go to my target weight of 150. Many thanks to everyone here who I've learned so much from - you guys rock! :adoration:

My question is this:

In shaping my workout routine, I liked the idea of something every morning - something before breakfast to get my heart rate going and get me energized for the day. I've also read about the benefits of working out from a "fasted-state" and wanted to experiment with that.

I've fallen in love with the self-inflicted torture known as

. I do them usually before every workout, but also did them for a couple days in the mornings and like it, but had a question regarding if that's optimal.

I lift weights, usually full-body exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench - three days a week usually M, W, F.

I've read that muscles need ideally 48 hours of rest before stressing again in order to fully recover and not injure and weaken yourself. If I were to do m100s every morning, including those even days between weightlifting days, would it hinder the growth of my recovering muscles?

Thanks guys!

Hmm.

M100 looks essentially like anaerobic conditioning work. It can work fine on its own, and it won't really impact the muscles. It'll work the hell out of your heart, but beyond that you should be good to go.

I suspect the ideal placement for something like this would be as a finisher to your weightlifting routines, and that the mornings would be better for mobility, but that's me talking. Your goals are your own, right?

As long as you pace yourself a little and don't go full blast you should have little to no effect on your recovery. My suggestion is to do them paced in the morning using it as more of a warm up. (once you're used to it you could sometimes throw in an all out one)

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I have no opinion regarding your question, but I watched that video, and man, that's insane! I feel like, before or after a weight-type workout, that'd be a lot! I might like to give that a try some time, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're supposed to do. How many of each do you do per set and how many sets? Their explanation at the beginning implies they do 10 sets of 10 each for a total of 100 each (or 300 in total), but that doesn't seem to be what the guy does. He goes too fast for me to really count what he's doing, though...

Thanks, and I doff my hat to you, sir, for doing these on a regular basis.

Dare mighty things

I thought the total rep count was 100. That seems closer to what he did in the video. If I try this I'm going to scale some and try it with stricter form. I'd rather the squat thrusts be more like a sprawl, so hips to the ground or at least to straight body position. Also the squats I'd do all the way down (ATG) to work the full ROM.

Personal preference, in no way knocking his work output.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Archived