Forums are back in action! ×

Good news at the docs

So yesterday I had to meet my primary care provider. Keep in mind I've only been on Paleo a week, and for the first time in 10 years I was told my blood pressure was good...really good in fact.

As a side note, I've started the process to get a new prosthetic arm. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

No, its alright. Yea I used one, it was about 15 to 17 years ago, but when I started lifting weights I tried to use it again. Noticed I needed a sleeve refit. Actually its not too bad. Its basically using your good arm as an anchor and your tricep to create tension to open and close.

Congrats on the medical thumbs up, and good luck on getting a new prosthetic! I know you've been thinking about one for a while now.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Yea, after running from it for all these years, I realized how much I need it.

I understand what you mean. My dad lost everything an inch below the elbow on his left arm in a car accident and while they've fit him for a prosthetic there's been so much scar tissue build up that he's down to 12% mobility in the joint. He flat out refuses to even put the prosthetic arm. He's old school Dutch farmblood - figures that if he doesn't have a hand he should just suck it up and figure out how to live without one instead of trying to "pretend" he does. Does that make sense? I think in a lot of ways he's running too, though you'd never get him to admit it. =)

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Easy for me to say, but dont worry too much about other people's perceptions, Rcarper. There was a dude with a prosthetic in my gym during the summer, and I thought he was badass. Believe me, you'll have far more people cheering for you (if they even notice, self-centered creatures that we are), than making snide comments in their head.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Lots of people find guys (and girls) with prosthetics to be extremely badass. They have it right. You lose a body part (or were born without it) and you keep on keepin' on, that's pretty awesome right there. Some people get theirs all pimped out with paint and decals, which I think is a lot cooler than trying to make it look like the "real thing." (there's that whole "uncanny valley" issue if you try to make it look too real; might as well own your bionic upgrade, no?)

Not that I know anything about it... but fitness is all about owning the body you have, and there's no shame if it has a little technology attached. That's what technology is FOR. Half the world wears aids of one kind or another. Next time someone makes fun of your body, if using it to beat them up is not an option, ask them if they wear contact lenses.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Haha, nice Raincloak. Funny that you mentioned bionic as while I'm working on the consultations, one of the doctors sent a link about 'bionic' limbs. I kind of laughed because I don't have any 'recall' in my arm to operate an electric one, but if he can make me do more so I can work harder, hell I don't care what it looks like.

Hmmm... good blood pressure on Paleo? Take that food pyramid and your 74 kinds of subsidized grains :) Congrats!

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki