Forums are back in action! ×

Taking the next step

Hello all!

I woke up on December 3, 2012 and decided I was tired of being incredibly overweight. I think I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself, so let's rewind a bit.

For as long as I can remember I've always been a big guy. However, I've never let it stop me from doing what I want to do (when I had the choice). I played youth sports, and was pretty damn good at baseball as a kid. I would consider myself an athletic person trapped in a body that is just too big to keep up. "But", you say "this is NERD fitness. You don't sound like a nerd". I enjoy video games, books, and general nerd stuff very much.

In my late teens, early 20's (I'm 25 now), my weight has fluctuated anywhere between 260 and 296 pounds (at 5 feet 10 inches tall). The fluctuations were never by choice, and generally were influenced by life events (college, internship, job, etc.). I recently landed what I would consider my dream job, working for a professional sports team, and it is the most sedentary job I've ever had. This is how I found myself at 296 pounds, and this is why I woke up on December 3rd, determined to make a change.

I began logging calories at Myfitness pal, and have been working out. I have not adopted a specialized diet, but I am purely counting calories. If  I cut things out of my diet completely, I will not stick with it. I have just been limiting the bad and maximizing the good foods. I've found through this that I am very strong willed and can overcome cravings pretty easily. The workouts started with little direction, but I started using the gym at my place of work, and with resources like this, I have become more focused in my efforts. Since December 3 I have dropped 20 pounds, and a few notches on my belt. I've been having a bit of trouble noticing the weight loss in my appearance, but am noticing more definition (particularly in my legs). I want to lose this weight because I am tired of being sore, and well... tired! I'm already noticing a difference in my energy levels. I have just a few goals right now in mind:

-Keep my weight trending downward

-Become stronger

-Live better

I know. Those are very broad, and in some aspects are a bit hard to quantify. I have noticed that this community is great with setting goals and devising ways to quantify results. Any help on this would be appreciated. I look forward to being part of this community!

Good job losing the 20 pounds! I would reccomend getting in on the next challenge which starts Monday. From your goals it sounds like you may want to start out as an adventurer, that's where I did my first two challenges.  Your first two goals are pretty quantifiable: where do you want your weight to end up? What do you want to be able to lift to prove you are stronger (how heavy and what exercise?). Live better needs more definition, do you mean physical health or something more?

Next I'd figure out what you can accomplish in six weeks and make some good SMART (Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Trackable) goals for the challenge. There will be others challenging themselves who will look in on you for encouragement and support.  What have you been doing to work out so far?

Welcome to the Rebellion.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks!

I would like to end up at 225 lbs. I don't think I would feel right at anything below that weight, and I'm pretty sure I would look like skin and bones if I got below 210 or so. As far as getting stronger, I'm not even sure where to put a goal. I have not done any real weight work yet, as my main focus has been on the weight loss. I may attack that goal differently for now- perhaps working up to completing three cycles of the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout found here. I can currently only get through two cycles of that. By living better, I mean living without the aches and pains a 50 year old would typically endure, but I guess that will come with general fitness. I may substitute a dietary goal in its place. I'll have to look at the goals others have set to form that goal.

I have access to a very nice gym at no charge as a perk of my job. There are no lines, and the machinery is nice- it's used by very high end professional athletes. I was only doing HIIT training on a stationary bike 5x per week up until last week. Last week I started doing the Beginner's Body Weight Workouts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with HIIT (1:00 slow, 30 seconds all out, 12 reps) on Tuesday, and Thursday. On Saturday and Sunday I do light work on a recumbent bike, as it's the only cardio equipment I have access to at home, and work is quite a commute for me.

I definitely plan on getting in on the next challenge, but I'm not sure I want to create a character for the RLRPG.

Great work so far Gladius. Another way to help see the change is to take monthly photos. It may not sound appealing at first, but when you can see the difference it is amazing. Being down 30lbs I could not see a difference until I looked at my photos side by side, and it was actually a big difference.

Good luck!

Level 3 Ogre Noob Adventurer

Str: 10.5 Con: 6.5

Dex: 3 WIS: 6.5

STA: 4 CHA: 3

Weighty Quest!

"You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live.

What a way to exist.†– Neale Donald Walsch

Epic Quest (55/100)

Archived