Forums are back in action! ×

One step forward, two steps and a stumble back...

Hello fellow nerds.

I was here a little bit ago, but stopped coming around due to a failed six week challenge - shuffled off, head hung in shame.  Yes, I know it was overreacting a bit.  But that was then, this is now.

My weight has been dropping like a stone, for no particular reason (except maybe some changes in my medication).  I've gone from 204 to 175 in about six or so months.  I'm 5'7".

A recent visit to my doctor discovered that I have an elevated white blood cell count (unexplained) and that my triglycerides were near 460.  I was subsequently put on cholesterol lowering medication.  I'm only 39 years old!  She's presuming that it's a hereditary problem.

So now with all this hullaballoo going on, and me generally feeling like poop, I switched to a new insurance.  Lo and behold - my new insurance company pays for a gym membership!  Huzzah!

At this point, I'm looking on setting up a fitness and dietary program that takes into consideration my cholesterol, my medications and my fitness needs, in the hopes of losing more weight, building up some muscle, and all around being in better condition this year.  I don't want to consider this a "resolution".  It's not.  It's a lifestyle change.

I'm going to do this, dammit.

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

Hello fellow nerds.

I was here a little bit ago, but stopped coming around due to a failed six week challenge - shuffled off, head hung in shame.  Yes, I know it was overreacting a bit.  But that was then, this is now.

My weight has been dropping like a stone, for no particular reason (except maybe some changes in my medication).  I've gone from 204 to 175 in about six or so months.  I'm 5'7".

A recent visit to my doctor discovered that I have an elevated white blood cell count (unexplained) and that my triglycerides were near 460.  I was subsequently put on cholesterol lowering medication.  I'm only 39 years old!  She's presuming that it's a hereditary problem.

So now with all this hullaballoo going on, and me generally feeling like poop, I switched to a new insurance.  Lo and behold - my new insurance company pays for a gym membership!  Huzzah!

At this point, I'm looking on setting up a fitness and dietary program that takes into consideration my cholesterol, my medications and my fitness needs, in the hopes of losing more weight, building up some muscle, and all around being in better condition this year.  I don't want to consider this a "resolution".  It's not.  It's a lifestyle change.

I'm going to do this, dammit.

Damn fine attitude.  Accomplish the goals or die trying.  I applaud your resolution in this (not the new years type!), and salute you for your honesty in that this is a second try; a lesser person might have tried simply creating a new account and slinking back in that way.

For the Fitness and Dietary Program, are you planning on creating this yourself or seeing some professionals about it?  Or perhaps a mix of both?  And with those points in mind (cholesterol, medication, fitness needs), do you have any specific goals? (E.g, instead of, "Loosing weight" you might have a specific goal of, "get to a weight of 150 lbs").

Besides all that, I hope you have a great year ahead of you!  You've certainly chosen a great way to start it off!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Ok, points:

Diet - I tried going paleo, and while I wasn't 100% successful, I did learn a lot about how I eat, what I eat, in what quantities do I eat, and how to eat more consciously.  I'll be using a lot of this towards making changes to eat a more whole foods based diet.  My doctor requested I cut red meat from my diet, which I already have (makes me feel ill), so that was an easy step to make.

Cholesterol, etc. - I'll be seeing a new doctor starting this year.  I'll be reviewing his suggestions on diet and exercise when I see him at my first appointment.

"Lose weight" - yes, I'd like to lose weight, but I'm more concerned with fitting into my clothing rather than whatever number is on the scale.  I'm already at the point where I have to buy new jeans that fit (after that last weight drop).  That'll be my judge as to how well I'm doing.  I don't even own a scale.

All in all, I'm starting from square one - meeting with my doctor, meeting with the trainer(s) at the gym, checking to see if I should visit a nutritionist or not, and check to see if they want to run any more bloodwork.  Then I'll pick up a pair of sneakers - I've worn the sole off my current ones. lol.

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

Archived