Forums are back in action! ×

From Jerusalem, Greetings!

Hey NF, I discovered this site yesterday (via Cracked.com I believe) and I'm excited to get involved with the community.

I am in a transitional period of my life right now. I am wedged between the relative boredom of my teenage years and the promising future that lies ahead of me.

As I type this I am sitting in my apartment some 20 minutes away from the center of Jerusalem, the Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall. Having finished up High School early, I am here living in Israel with my grandparents simply enjoying life and soaking up as much of the local cultures and languages that I can.

I am seventeen years old, I'm 6'4" and I weigh exactly 230 pounds with a wide-shouldered frame. My doctor has assured me that 200-240 pounds is a perfectly acceptable weight for someone with my body type and height. I'm not overweight but I do want to burn off the layers of baby fat still clinging around my chest and stomach.

I was first alarmed for the need to start doing something about my weight when I hit my heaviest weight ever at 270 pounds. I managed to drop the forty pounds to get to where I currently am by absolutely NEVER drinking soda and partaking in sweets. I've been doing about fifty pushups every morning before taking a shower, which I believe helped greatly.

I want to enter University as a different person than I was in High School. Despite my large size I tried to sink into the background as much as I could due to my shyness. I've become a lot better at my oratory and social skills due in part to a large amount of information I've garnered from reading Etiquette guides from the Victorian Era (I'll swear by their usefullness in today's world). I don't want to live a another moment as I once was, and getting ripped is a sure way to boost my confidence levels. If I ever want to be a nurse it certainly will be beneficial that I portray an air of confidence, no?

{If you've made it thus far, I must commend your ability to concentrate.}

My current plan is an exciting one. In the next coming weeks I will be shipped off to work as a volunteer on an Israeli military base. I will have the opprotunity to clean, paint, and move heavy things around in support of the IDF. If this does sound rather like grunt work, it is because it is, and it is exactly why I've chosen to do it. I get to support the county I love in addition to working in a surefire way to melt the fat off my body. The IDF serves mainly fruits and vegetables in meals with the occasional fish thrown in for good measure. Again, the combination of work and food will probably be the best thing that ever happened to my body. But this is only for a few weeks and is destined to not last forever, and unless I stick to this military-enforced diet I will doubtfully gain my weight back.

So in closing, I'm glad to be here. I hope that I can learn and teach what I know.

Thanks,

Mason

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Hallo and welcome! Thats a great idea to go do moderate-level activity as a volunteer. Structured diet, moving for hours? Win! It'll be easy enough to continue the momentum after that, you just need to keep moving, and keep eating mostly fruits and vegetables. Building habits can take some concentration, but you can do it!

At a guess, I think you're an Art of Manliness reader. That site rocks.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

At a guess, I think you're an Art of Manliness reader. That site rocks.

Ah! You got me. I do in fact read that site almost obsessively.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Steve, I was also excited to hear that, and checked, but I couldn't find mention of us (unless it was on the forums somewhere. Those forums scare me).

Someone should go send an email to Christina H (http://www.cracked.com/members/Mortal%20Wombat). She recently posted a hilarious article on "5 Weight Loss Tips for Cynical Bastards" (http://www.cracked.com/article_18965_5-weight-loss-tips-cynical-bastards.html), and she's a self-admitted gamer. She's right up our alley. :P

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Welcome to boards, Mason.

Interesting name, by the way, one who makes or creates. Any special significance behind it?

Also, I would recommend if you can get your hands on it, Amy Vanderbilts Guide to Etiquette, circa 1957.

Online PDF : http://ia700306.us.archive.org/4/items/amyvanderbiltsco00vandrich/amyvanderbiltsco00vandrich.pdf

It has helped a lot with propriety and there are subtle changes that I only now see at work as well.

Good luck on your fitness goals.

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.