Forums are back in action! ×

Just lifted weights for the first time

BopGun

Good CHRIST, am I sore!

I just joined a gym for the first time yesterday as a 35th birthday present to myself (I turned 35 three days ago). This afternoon, in less than half an hour, I got an up-close-and-personal look at just how weak a 6'3", 230-pound man can be. Will post about that elsewhere.

I'm sore, but I feel good right now. On both occasions in my adult life that I tried bodyweight strength training, I tried to do too much too soon and injured myself within a month. I'm determined to not do that this time.

Hey, thank you guys for the encouragement. I'm STILL a tad sore from four days ago (oof), but I'm going to press on here. I did hit the weight room again Tuesday and especially need to do so tonight because I'm going out of town for a couple of days and won't have access to a gym while I'm gone.

Hopefully this chapter has a great deal yet to be written, and I started a battle log for that purpose.

As someone that just started lifting a couple months ago at age 38, I hear you, that first day I could barely make it down the stairs. But don't worry, it gets better quickly, and soon your next day soreness will be more manageable (and almost enjoyable!).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

High school sports, boot camp, and a couple periods of gym membership over the years... it's all felt the same in the beginning for me. The first two weeks are rough, and then things mellow out and the soreness drops to slightly noticeable.

Laudabiliter -- Level 1 Mul WarriorSTR 3| DEX 2| STA 3| CON 3| WIS 2| CHA 2

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Bene Gesserit litany against fear

Congrats.  The soreness only stops for me when I train again these days but it feels great.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

It is addicting. I'd never have guessed that as recently as three weeks ago. I'm very weak (still can't squat or overhead press the bar, though in about another week I should be able to do each of those, and I couldn't bench the bar when I started, either). I'm also highly inflexible. Some of it can't be helped (I was born with bilateral clubfoot and needed three extensive orthopedic surgeries on each foot to be able to walk normally) and some of it probably can (a physio told me a few months ago that my hamstrings aren't tight; they're super-super-super-tight). Still, I feel great physically aside from the soreness and I'm sleeping better at night than I have in many years.

Great work!

Try a foam roller for the tight muscles and soreness. If your gym doesn't have a roller, a rolling pin works too. It has been a lifesaver for my sore muscles.

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

Archived