Forums are back in action! ×

There is no Quit…there is only Continue.

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am from Philadelphia.  I am recent addition to the rebellion and ready to hit the ground running (quite literally as I’m focused on being a Scout for the upcoming challenge).  I have been overweight for years, and a recent event in my family has caused me to reevaluate my lifestyle.

My big brother, Brendan, recently survived stage 3 colon cancer.  He was diagnosed in late 2011 after his 31st birthday.  Since then, he has been through the whole gamut: radiation, chemo, a colostomy bag, and several surgeries (his reversal will be scheduled soon and he will have a somewhat normal life).  If he can endure all of that and still come out swinging, I can lose 60 pounds.

I have registered for the Broad Street Run, which will take place May 5.  I want to run in honor of him.  He is the best guy I know.  He bought me my first console, the N64, (we shared the NES and Super Nintendo as kids) and it came with a little game that changed my life: Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time.  Since then, I have been a LOZ addict.

In the LOZ series, when you run out of hearts, the Game Over screen pops up.  It always asks you if you want to Quit or Continue.  My brother never quit; he always continued and kept fighting.  I am done quitting on myself, and it’s about time I finally pressed the start button on my life.

Long Live the Rebellion!

“Somehow the killing of this giant spider, all alone by himself in the dark . . . made a great difference to Mr. Baggins. He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach, as he wiped his sword on the grass and put it back into its sheath. ‘I will give you a name,’ he said to it, ‘and I shall call you Sting.’ â€

The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome aboard. If I may make some suggestions, if your goal is weight loss, remember diet is 80% thereof and as Steve says, "You can't outrun your fork." Also, you may want to incorporate some weight lifting or other strenght training, as it will help your running and the lean muscle mass will burn more calories on your run.  Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thank you for the tips!  I am planning my meals ahead of time so that I won't be caught in the trap of buying convenient junk food.  As for weight training, I am going to try the beginner's body weight routine.  Also, I have dumb bells and a medicine ball gathering dust in my closet.  Might as well throw those bad boys into the mix.  Thanks again for the help!

“Somehow the killing of this giant spider, all alone by himself in the dark . . . made a great difference to Mr. Baggins. He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach, as he wiped his sword on the grass and put it back into its sheath. ‘I will give you a name,’ he said to it, ‘and I shall call you Sting.’ â€

The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Archived