Forums are back in action! ×

Facial hair!

Hey Folks,

Werwolf's intro thread got sort of hijacked when I posted my avatar. Apparently there's a contingent of folks who appreciate a well groomed face, so let me be the first to get the beard/moustache/general facial hair thread going.

Werwolf offered this link to the world beard competition: http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

I have a blog that I dip my toes in once in a while (sometimes a little deeper than others) at badasseswithmoustaches

And a few of yours truly to get the ball rolling:

With the handlebars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]182[/ATTACH]

More recently

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183[/ATTACH]

What you got?!

post-1699-13567242860334_thumb.jpg

post-1699-13567242860545_thumb.jpg

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

@Werwolf- I did feel bad about the hijack :| so I'm glad you approve :D

@Jedi- nicely done. I've had to trim up for the office/job search m'self but I've stayed true to my chinstrap/goatee roots. I had a little ZZTop action going for a while but blacksmiths (it's a hobby) tend to not have facial hair for very long. Burning hair stinks and is scary :\

@Loweena- I've seen a woman with facial hair (her goatee length put mine to shame, though it was sparse and scraggly) and it was not cute. I'm glad to hear you are lacking in that department.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki

I have a beard that's just beginning to come into fullness. It's still at the point where clean-shaven people give me funny looks, and people with real beards laugh at me. I'll post a picture of it whenever I get one.

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Tom Stoppard (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)

I was just teasing. Facial hair can hijack me anytime. ... Does that sound dirtier than I meant it to?

Depends- how dirty did you mean for it to sound? :) I'd say on a 1-10 scale that was about a 2, maybe 3.

@Clawed- you best get on that! :D

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki

Yeah, I will. I'm afraid it's not as impressive a beard as yours (I'm stuck with my stupid work rules about professionalism), but at least I get to have a beard :)

Curse employers and their Pagonaphobia!! My argument was that I spend 80% of my time in the labs and even when I do have to go onto the wards a beard simply makes me more credible as a scientist

plus beards make for epic Gordon Freeman costumes

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

Depends- how dirty did you mean for it to sound? :) I'd say on a 1-10 scale that was about a 2, maybe 3.

2 or 3 works for me. This is a family show after all. ;)

Curse employers and their Pagonaphobia!! My argument was that I spend 80% of my time in the labs and even when I do have to go onto the wards a beard simply makes me more credible as a scientist

No proper scientist has ever been without a beard, and possibly glasses. It's a combo that just shouts "I'm cleverer than you!"

I currently have a beard, a nice bright ginger one. I'm constantly shaving/re-growing it though. My problem with having it is that since it's a red beard I feel like it makes me more "noticeable" which can be a problem in my job (private detective), but then sometimes I just don't care and I want my beard. I'm pretty sure that if my boss saw me with a beard he would insist that I get rid of it...good thing he's in Chicago and I see him once a year, at most :)

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

No proper scientist has ever been without a beard, and possibly glasses. It's a combo that just shouts "I'm cleverer than you!"

this is indeed trufax, I normally wear contacts, however if i'm ever going for an interview...glasses all the way

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

I need to ask my fellow rebels for advice! Should I keep growing my beard? If so, what style do you think suits me the most? Long, short, none or moustache perhaps?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239[/ATTACH]

although I loath seeing these kind of self shot pictures I have no choice with no cameraman around :P

Any suggestions would be awesome, I need to add some CHA to my character attributes! ;)

Grow it out for at least a month. Get the edge under the moustache and the defining lines. I would suggest visiting a barber you trust for a beard shape-up once or twice during that time. At the end consult and decide on a good length.

Don't worry about the length of the rest of it. At the end you can decide on the end style, but right now it's just a little too short to really decide.

Also, get a good pair of trimmers, something with at least a 1, 2 and 3 for the length. It makes it a lot easier than the so-called "beard timmers" that they sell in the store (Norelco is junk). I'd say Wahl (I have the peanut model), but I don't know what you have available in Sweden.

+1 to Clawed: I grow more between shaves than what you're currently sporting :D so you gotta let it ALL grow out- release your inner Viking. Then you can start trimming down from the temples to the chin line, under the chin, around the nose and lips, etc. On their own soul patches and moustaches are a no-no in my book. But if you have the hair coverage, a patch/stache combo could look pretty bad ass (think Anonymous).

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki

Yeah, I guess I don't think about it being a problem to shave parts of my beard when it when it gets longer becasue I straight shave and don't have a razor-body to clog up. But here's whatcha do. Get the aforementioned beard trimmer, and use that to get your hair down to 2-3mm. That gives you an idea of what the final product will look like. If you don't like it you can stop without having to start all over. If you mostly like it but want wider sideburns or chin strap, just take your time with where you use your razor.

It might help to google-fu beard designs and find guys with faces shaped similarly to yours. You can get ideas about what you like and what to avoid :)

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki

If I'm only following my own preferences I think I might make bad choices. Beard and hairstyle being an essential part of my appearance I'm curious to know what other people think suits me best. Maybe it's easier to just let it grow for a month and come back and ask for suggestions. Thanks for the help. :)