Forums are back in action! ×

In from the Fringe

Hey Rebellion! This is Peter from FringeSport- you may remember Fringe from the gym rings that Steve mentioned in his playground workout article.

Anyway, I hit some solid fitness goals for myself last year and I dig NF, so I thought I'd join the forums and use them as an accountability tool to hit my goals for this year.

Brief background on me- I have been chubby to fat my whole life, and until I found running and later, CrossFit, my younger brothers could always kick my butt in sports. I played soccer in HS, but never made the team, and I played rugby for Texas in college, but without distinction (and they took all comers).

During senior year in college, I started running and eating "better" (low fat, high carb), and I became for the first time in my teen to adult life, skinny. However, I needed to run 25 mpw to stay that way.

When I was looking to get stronger, I found CrossFit in 2005. I've had my ups and downs since then, but I am a confirmed CrossFitter now- even though I dabble in a lot of other stuff too. And, in 2010, I founded FringeSport to sell CrossFit equipment online. Oh, and I am one of the 80/100 paleos these days- 80% clean, 100% of the time. I'm not fat anymore, but I care more about performance than BF% or looks these days.

As for my Nerd bonafides, well, I loved sci-f and horror in HS, and I dabbled in fantasy (Tolkien, C.S. Lewis mainly). I read a lot back then, and I was the editor of the HS newspaper, plus the President of the Coin Club (the largest HS coin club in the world, if you can believe it). I loved and am still fond of NES and Super NES games- largely Zelda, Mega Man, and Mario, but I am far from a gamer these days.

Here are the fitness milestones that I hit last year:

• Grace in 4:02
  • Sub 1:30 500m row
  • Hit sub 10% BF for the first time... ever
  • Competed in my first Oly meet... by accident! Totaled 140kg (terrible!)
  • Booked my first fitness modeling gig... also by accident (! Where the #$%^ did that come from?)
  • Won an adventure race in Austin with my team (team FringeSport), and then placed second in a follow-up adventure race when a team of Navy Seals edged us out by 60 seconds (over a 3 hour race)
  • Competed my first GoRuck challenge- I am certified GRT

And the fitness milestones that I missed/stopped striving towards:

• Bench 225
  • Squat 315
  • Dead 405

I'm going to start a log for 2013, but here are my big fitness goals as 2013 opens:

• Heavy Grace in sub 10 minutes (25 C&J at 225#)
  • 5 strung muscle-ups
  • Run an ultra 

Happy to be here!

My Log

@petekeller

FB

CrossFit Equipment at FringeSport (Founder)

Archived